Sorn Advice

Currently reading:
Sorn Advice

In order to dodge around the new tax disc rules I was thinking of giving my car SORN status (parking it up on the drive) for a day or two.
Is it possible to SORN for such a short period of time?

Reason is if I just renew the tax I'll be paying £120 as the current tax runs out on 31/03/10. If I can SORN and buy the new tax at the start of April the tax will be £110. £10 isn't a huge amount but I don't see the point in paying an extra £10 just so I can use my car on one particular day...

Yes :) 3 weeks before iirc, the only ball ache will be rooting out your mot,V5 and insurance cert then traipsing to the post office as the number on your reminder will be invalid

Last edited:
Yes :) 3 weeks before iirc, the only ball ache will be rooting out your mot,V5 and insurance cert then traipsing to the post office as the number on your reminder will be invalid
ah - might just pay for 6 months then and save the £4 overall (plus a little more as the money is earning me interest). The queue in the Post Office round here probably isn't worth standing in to save £6. Plus I can't exactly drive to the Post Office to save time on the round trip :rolleyes:

ah - might just pay for 6 months then and save the £4 overall (plus a little more as the money is earning me interest). The queue in the Post Office round here probably isn't worth standing in to save £6. Plus I can't exactly drive to the Post Office to save time on the round trip :rolleyes:

you can sorn online as you can tax
im assuming you got your reminder today?

a true Scot(y)
Better in my pocket than being given to the government to waste.

course you can
once the car is SORN all you do is purchase you tax as normal at whatever point
hmm, problem with applying online though is there would be a delay while the disc was in the post

is going into postie or paying online on 1st april not an option? or does it not change till the 4th or something?:confused:
Changes on 1st April. Can't wait until the first to pay unless it is SORNed as the car would technically be untaxed for a few hours and the dvla computer would possibly issue a fine.

In order to dodge around the new tax disc rules I was thinking of giving my car SORN status (parking it up on the drive) for a day or two.
Is it possible to SORN for such a short period of time?

Reason is if I just renew the tax I'll be paying £120 as the current tax runs out on 31/03/10. If I can SORN and buy the new tax at the start of April the tax will be £110. £10 isn't a huge amount but I don't see the point in paying an extra £10 just so I can use my car on one particular day...

Every little helps.:D A true Scot & no mistake....:D

You can sorn the car and tax it without any time periods.

You can take your V5 (log book) along with insurance and mot to the post office and they can scan the V5 log book to tax the car, there is a barcode on the V5 that they can scan to tax the vehicle.

I used to work in a Post Office but has been a few years and things have changed since then but the above is correct.

Also there is useful information here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/index.htm

Mathew

Last edited:
Back