General Some help needed please!

Currently reading:
General Some help needed please!

Two problems really and I don't know if they are related, as i'll give anything a try but i'm not very mechanically minded!

First of all on two occasions, about a month apart, my panda wouldn't start. Regardless of the use/lack of choke, even jump starting, wouldn't start. and when I turned the key it would at first turn over normally but the more i tried the more it slowed until eventually it would just whine once and give up.

However after leaving it for a while (1st time 2days, and the 2nd time a few hours) it managed to start ok. :confused:

I tested the battery with a multimeter, and with the engine idling it read over 14V and with the lights, blowers, CD-palyer etc it still read over 14V, which means the battery and alternator is ok, right?

Problem two is that not long after the 2nd time it wouldn't start i was driving along with the CD player on when the head unit just started flashing randomly until it eventually cut off. And since then i've not been able to start the CD player, all that happens is it will come on only half lighting up and very dimly and it doesn't seem to have the power to operate the CD so switches to tuner mode. I can't even get it to eject the CD!

So I don't know if this can be related or if it's two seperate problems. I am going to have my mechanic look at it, but it's getting him when he's not busy that's the problem, so if anyone has any ideas that someone like me can try then i'd appreciate it!

Thanks! :)

14V without/with electrial load means the alternator is ok.
The fact that it cranks many times implies the battery is good.
You may have flooded the carb on these two occasions which would clear after two hours and would then start ok. Was the engine still hot from an earlier run and then attempted to start with full choke?

My old Panda didn't like damp mornings and would not start until the weather had brightened up a bit.:rolleyes:

The CD player problem may be unrelated. Can you check its wiring easily? It may also have an inline fuse that needs changing.

If you are near Basildon I could give it a quick look, two heads and all that!:bang: :bang: (am in Chelmsford tomorrow if that helps?)

cheers Damon

Hedgehog may not be the technical phrase; but it is a spot on description !
I always re-seat the connections this beast and then, should anything else fail, earth every faulty item seperately.
Good luck.
(y)

Back