So you think 20Mb cable is fast...

Currently reading:
So you think 20Mb cable is fast...

I am on 10Mbit here, but can't wait for 20Mbit - all depends on what you are using your PC for :)

Right, but I guess that I have several feelings on this:

1st - 40Gb/s technology is a great idea - start at the top and filter it down. In other words, begin by upgrading all backbones to use this new technology - I'm all for that. So I think it's great that it's been developed and promoted. I don't feel indignant at all - only when people think they can buy it for themselves...

2nd - 'free-market' ISPs are going to have to buy-into the improved technology so that they have more bandwidth to go around. I keep hearing that due to YouTube etc. the Internet is predicted to 'crash' through lack of bandwidth, which is due to the large number of cheap ISPs all competing for the same bandwidth...

3rd - you may be using your PC or server for all sorts of great things, but really... think what can be achieved... remember that the space shuttle took off with 4K of RAM and that the new i386 ($15,000) was "mainly for advanced CAD/CAM operations". Those Pentium 100s I threw away last month never did a day of CAD/CAM work in their lives. Faster, yes - more useful, no. Does the average home user need huge jumps in speed - or do some people need 20 times the bandwidth of other people? I think not ;)

I tried to download a TV show that I missed the other day - personally I feel that's 'legitimate', after all I could have videotaped it... and although my download started off at 20KB/s, it was down to 1KB/s within an hour. Is a 20MB connection for me going to solve that problem? No, because the other people with the file need high-speed connections too... That's why I can't be bothered worrying about it :eek: Could've just bought an HD recorder instead - problem solved in a different way!

It's an interesting predicament we find ourselves in. Imagine if everybody with electricity in their homes had different current limits - some could turn on two heaters and a dishwasher, some could barely run the TV... how would the sale of appliances work out?

-Alex

Last edited:
Faster, yes - more useful, no. Does the average home user need huge jumps in speed - or do some people need 20 times the bandwidth of other people? I think not ;)

I tried to download a TV show that I missed the other day - personally I feel that's 'legitimate', after all I could have videotaped it... and although my download started off at 20KB/s, it was down to 1KB/s within an hour. Is a 20MB connection for me going to solve that problem? No, because the other people with the file need high-speed connections too
Hmmm, then you are downloading from the wrong places then ;)

As custard said, private trackers - I know I can hit line speed within a few minutes, about 1.1MB/s - once I get 20Mbit, this will go up to around 2.2MB/s.

And the people I am getting this from? Well, they are mostly running 100/100Mbit seedboxes, as well as normal users running at 512kbps say.

ok i would love this sort of BW, no wait 1/2 will do, no sod it 1/8 will do lol. im stuck on a crappy BT copper line, 18 month contract aswell :(

private trackers - I know I can hit line speed within a few minutes, about 1.1MB/s - once I get 20Mbit, this will go up to around 2.2MB/s.
What tracker is that then ;):p

lets not get excited, the uk wont have a fibre optic backbone for many years, and after that it will be much much longer before fibre optic cabling is laid from each exchange to all houses. i doubt i will live to see it.

funnily enough the millenium dome was built at exactly the same time much of the world was installing fibre optic backbones in their telecomunication networks. wow we really made the right decision there.

Back