So you think 20Mb cable is fast...

Currently reading:
So you think 20Mb cable is fast...

So you could download a FULL 20Gb HD-DVD in 2seconds ? Not really, actually. Your Hard Drive would not even be able to cope with that amount of bandwidth.

With overheads, 20Gb would take about 30min to write your hard-drive? probably a lot more depending on the computer.

So you could download a FULL 20Gb HD-DVD in 2seconds ? Not really, actually. Your Hard Drive would not even be able to cope with that amount of bandwidth.

With overheads, 20Gb would take about 30min to write your hard-drive? probably a lot more depending on the computer.
2 seconds at 40Gb/s is about 8GB.
If you can afford a 40Gb/s connection, you can probably afford a machine with over 8GB RAM, so it can live there before it hits the disk.
With the right disk you could write it to disk in 40 seconds anyway.

Ultra SCSI 640's in a RAID 0 config needed here and yes H your quite right, you don't hook this up to a £299 PC World Special.

Liam

It'd probably still shift more than that, and RAID 0 doesn't do that much to help it, its not like it doubles the throughput of the drives.

I doubt the person using this will be running the set-up you mentioned, nor will she be downloading from servers that can distribute fast enough for the connection.

Its all a load of pointless bull****.

did you even read the article?

Yes it briefly mentions the technology used and how she can watch over a bagillion HDTV channels and once, like any computer on this planet would be able to handle decoding that much HD Video at once....

Like I said, ******.

Yes it briefly mentions the technology used and how she can watch over a bagillion HDTV channels and once, like any computer on this planet would be able to handle decoding that much HD Video at once....

Like I said, ******.

liek has been said read the article, now lets think about this, if this is bull**** then what is the future? think about what you say before argueing n mouthing off.

its a great feat in its self and somethign that will be widely available in the future at a guess and will be amazing :D

liek has been said read the article, now lets think about this, if this is bull**** then what is the future? think about what you say before argueing n mouthing off.

its a great feat in its self and somethign that will be widely available in the future at a guess and will be amazing :D

I'm not saying its not, but its facking useless at the minute, no computer can even harness its real potential, I don't care what anyone says.

You can fit the Albert Hall into one of my LNG storage tanks, not that anybody is going to try very quickly. It's a good way to understand the magnitude however. A good comparison in simple terms.

Nobody is taking holidays on the moon, doesn't mean it wasn't an important success for mankind. That's what mankind does.

Nobody can quite harness utilise hydrogen power like we want to yet, doesn't stop people working towards it. Again, it's what mankind does.

well in this case because someone takes half an article and belittles its practical uses.whereas if they took the time to read the whole article they would have seen it was a technical excercise on a different approach to providing bandwidth.
Exactly that - it is amazing what they have achieved. It has jack to do with the speed of HDDs in some 75 year olds PC, lol.

Maybe MiG has developed the 50Gb/s prototype, and so thinks this is just crap technology ;)

40GB/s that would be impressive. Shame residential fibre is only available in limited pockets. I believe pre privatisation BT planned to provide fibre to every house instead Maggie Thatcher privatised BT and now if you want fibre you gotta pay. Shame, we could have been on the cutting edge instead most are stuck with ancient copper barely able to manage 2Mbit/s - can but dream.

40GB/s that would be impressive. Shame residential fibre is only available in limited pockets. I believe pre privatisation BT planned to provide fibre to every house instead Maggie Thatcher privatised BT and now if you want fibre you gotta pay. Shame, we could have been on the cutting edge instead most are stuck with ancient copper barely able to manage 2Mbit/s - can but dream.

It's a delicate balance between a monopolistic government service that has the resources and economies-of-scale to provide a widely-available service, or a privatised company that operates more efficiently and provides a service that people actually want/pay for. I'm not sure which I prefer, to be honest.

Neither way works perfectly so you can comfort yourself with the fact that here in NZ, we have mostly the same problems. We also had one main provider of high-speed Internet, Telecom NZ, very much the equivalent of BT. But now, we have numerous 'tolls and internet' providers. Whenever any of them offer a 'special', customers flock to them and the network performance takes a dive. The problem is that once the market is value-driven (competing on price), no-one's going to invest in the infrastructure to provide more bandwidth to go around. Since the 'monopoly' was broken here in NZ, nothing seems to have improved - it's just been spread thinner.

These days I just don't care anymore and I put up with my 2Mbit connection like everyone else. There's nothing you can't do with 2Mbit - how much bandwidth do you really need? Would it really make life better to stream your hi-def videos when the old TV is sitting over there patiently...

2Mbit is infinitely more versatile than the 2400 baud modem I used to connect with BBSs back in 1993 when the average Joe had no clue what a modem was... yet ultimately, what I'm typing here could be done over 2400 baud... :rolleyes:

-Alex

Back