Technical So Many Problems!!

Currently reading:
Technical So Many Problems!!

Capello1986

Hi Guys, First off this site has so much information its unreal!!

I have a few questions, basically just bought a MK2 Y reg Fiat Punto in a car auction and sadly when I collected it today there were a few issues and hope that you folks can send me in the right direction.

1. The Clutch seems so high and just doesn't feel right when pulling away, Can this be adjusted or is it one of these self adjusting clutches?

2. The Tape/Radio doesn't seem to have any power to it, I checked the fuse but seems fine. I will be installing an aftermarket anyway but why no power? I am guessing an aftermarket one wouldn't get power either.

3. The Airbag warning light is on and the passanger one is flashing even though I turned it back on. Can this be reset or anything?

4. The Speedo doesn't seem to move at all, When am doing 70mph (using satnav to read this) it only says around 20mph and for every 10 miles of distance i do it only changes up one mile. (kinda know now why it was only 2300 miles since last MOT lol)

5. The distance display is flashing about every second or so and will not stop, Been reading about alot of problems about these.

If anyone has tips that would be fantastic.......preferably not the scrappy :)

Cheers
Martin

Hi Capello1986,

Welcome to the forum!

1. Clutch: This is hydraulic and therefore self-adjusting. They are prone to wear on the pressure plate due to seizing thrust release bearing.

2. Tape/radio: Low spec version (two/four speakers) works when ignition off and has supply through fuses F2 (20A) in engine compartment and F39 (10A) in driver's side fusebox, below dash. High spec version (six speakers and sub-woofer) involves F2 (40A) and F3 (20A) in engine compartment and F36 (15A), F39 (10A), F49 (7.5A) and F51 (7.5A) in driver's side fusebox.

3. Airbag: Prone to faults, particularly with connectors for pre-tensioners under seats and wiring loom to passenger-side inhibit switch. You'll need an ECU reader to read/clear the errors. Do a bit of searching on this forum for more info. or try www.FiatECUReader.net.

4. Speedo: The speed sensor is on the gearbox. Check/clean connections.

5. Distance display flashing - can't help you on this except to say I have had it as well but it went away. Please post again if you find the source and/or cure (as a broadbrush comment, I would suspect wiring connections as with all things electrical on this car!)

red.

Last edited:
The radio issue is possibly the previous owner having had a better unit has just refitted the original unit without bothering to wire it up, possibly because the wiring was different.

Pop it out and make sure the connectins are intact.

Cheers

SPD

Back