Technical So, i got my self a punto. it's a shed

Currently reading:
Technical So, i got my self a punto. it's a shed

Reddood

So, after getting my missis a nice little sporting a few weeks back, i decided i wanted one, but wanted one with a bit more poke..

After looking at about a million of them, ranging from none runners, to ones priced at £2k I've settled on a 2001 HGT abarth.

After driving it home and having a proper look around it, i've decided it's a toilet and i've lovingly named it "Death shed", But this is ok as it was cheap, and after looking at it before parting with my cash, i wasn't expecting much more!

so, i'll list a few of the falts and hopefully someone can give me the most likely cause of them, so i know what to look at first.

1 - the car was a cat c in 2010, it's had a shocking repair, and the panel gaps are miles out, i've got it looking nearly right, but the bonnet is still sitting to far to one side, how do i adjust it, or do i have to move the wing in a bit further.

2 - airbag light is on, i suspect this is from the cat c incident, do i have to take it to the main agent, or can i do it with a fault code reset tool (i have one, also have a usb obd2 interface, is there a software available for reset?)

3 - car only has 5 gears, is this right for a 51 plate HGT?

4 - gear linkage is sloppy, what is the most likely cause, what do i buy to fix it?

5 - there is a clonking noise when i dry steer, the noise is made by a coil spring, why is it making the noise?

6 - the top mounts, where they come through the inner wings, the hole is elongated, is this to make adjustments to the caster angle, or should the mounts move? i ask as one is fully forward, the other is fully back!

7 - and lastly, there is no record of a belt change, as 70% of belt failures are caused by incorrect fitment, i'm going to pay a garage to to change it, what should i expect to pay for this?

i'll leave you with those for now, but i'm sure i'll have lots more questions as time goes on.

TIA
Red

So, after getting my missis a nice little sporting a few weeks back, i decided i wanted one, but wanted one with a bit more poke..

After looking at about a million of them, ranging from none runners, to ones priced at £2k I've settled on a 2001 HGT abarth.

After driving it home and having a proper look around it, i've decided it's a toilet and i've lovingly named it "Death shed", But this is ok as it was cheap, and after looking at it before parting with my cash, i wasn't expecting much more!

so, i'll list a few of the falts and hopefully someone can give me the most likely cause of them, so i know what to look at first.

1 - the car was a cat c in 2010, it's had a shocking repair, and the panel gaps are miles out, i've got it looking nearly right, but the bonnet is still sitting to far to one side, how do i adjust it, or do i have to move the wing in a bit further.

2 - airbag light is on, i suspect this is from the cat c incident, do i have to take it to the main agent, or can i do it with a fault code reset tool (i have one, also have a usb obd2 interface, is there a software available for reset?)
Download FIAT ECU scan from the lets talk fiat section - get a Suitable Cable and save yourself loads there

3 - car only has 5 gears, is this right for a 51 plate HGT?

The HGT Abarth / HGT according to Parkers says its a 5speed box :)

4 - gear linkage is sloppy, what is the most likely cause, what do i buy to fix it?
Check for Play in the linakges on the side of the gearbox

5 - there is a clonking noise when i dry steer, the noise is made by a coil spring, why is it making the noise?
A Clonk when dry steering should occour when steering fullstop
Could be Suspension Mount - What was the Cat c For? Side impact? frontal impact?

6 - the top mounts, where they come through the inner wings, the hole is elongated, is this to make adjustments to the caster angle, or should the mounts move? i ask as one is fully forward, the other is fully back!

7 - and lastly, there is no record of a belt change, as 70% of belt failures are caused by incorrect fitment, i'm going to pay a garage to to change it, what should i expect to pay for this?
If No belt history - Change it now
DONT drive it - whitesei made that mistake, it cost him

i'll leave you with those for now, but i'm sure i'll have lots more questions as time goes on.

TIA
Red

Answers i can expand on are in bold
some i cant answer

ziggy

Thanks for the help.

While there is no history of a belt change, I have looked at it and it doesnt look to be in a bad state, but as there is no receipt i'm going to have it done this week (as long as i can afford it), I just dont want to be paying over the odds for it.

The cat C, there is no written information about the damage, but after taking the wings and bumper off today, it looks to of had 2 new headlights, a slam pannel, bonnet, drivers wing and a repair to the bumper, the bumper damage doesnt look too bad, so i suspect only a light impact, there is no obvious repairs to the inner wings, and looking at the quality of the rest of the repairs, or lack of it, i think repairs to none visable parts would be very obvious.

the clunking on the suspension is deffo the coil spring, it sounds like it isnt sat in position correctly, and springs into place when steering, but it does it every time i dry steer, at the last MOT, it failed on the coil springs, and there is a receipt for replacements, i was wondering if it was possable to fit them incorrectly, or it something was worn

Last edited:
As far as i know th elongated hles on the upper mounts are supposed to allow for smoother damping when cornering, but not sure technically how how it all works - all of my previous puntos were the same. HGT's can be a bit pricey on cambelts y9ou need to ensure that they change the variator too aswell as having a good look at the water pump. Dont scrimp on it, its worth the peace of mind!

Back