Technical Snow Chains

Currently reading:
Technical Snow Chains

Cookecarey

For those who do not need/wish to fit Winter Tyres, Lidl have snow Chains in stock now to suit 13" Wheels £19.99. Euro standard/TUV.
Bargain, could keep you out trouble.
Caveat Emptor...May not fit non standard or suit Alloy wheels.

Last edited:
I can not see why any one would want to buy snow chains in the UK.
I have a pair hanging up in the garage. Can't even remember what size wheel they fit now.
Most snow chains are a pain to fit. And only suitable on snow or ice covered roads. As soon as you go onto a cleared road they are no good.
Very happy with the winter tyres we have on our two cars now.
However I remember fitting the chains on to my Peugeot 205 half way uo The Hardnot pass in Cumbria one winter. They got me out of a tricky situation. I must admit.
I think ther was a driver caught out on the ice on The Burway on the Longmynd at Church Stretton yesterday. And had to be rescued. He probably needed snow chains.

www.westmercia.police.uk/news/news-articles/driver-s-lucky-escape-after-car-skids-on-burway-black-ice.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Last edited:
For Batfalcon: note that you cannot fit snow chains to the 185/65 R14 tyres of the Panda 4x4 (there's not enough clearance between the tyre and the bodywork), but you can to the 165/70 tyres found on the steel-wheeled 4x4s in Europe... (this is something they 'hide' in the supplementary instruction book for the 4x4)

I know, I have read this, although you can fit if you find the right chain. At least I did. They have small rings. When I tested them on concrete floor, the wheels could move freely and turn without hitting the arches.
On the other hand, we (four wheel drives), can place them on the rear wheels, isn't it? ;)

Last edited:
Back