Technical smokey breather

Currently reading:
Technical smokey breather

raptor

Riding 7cm of the deck
set off the other day to find my punto (mk1 60s) jerked in low revs for 1st and 2nd gear. as soon as it got up to speed it was fine.

changed my plugs and HT leads (after some advice from a passing mechanic) and it is still rough.
i've been told it could be numerous things such as:
collapsed CAT
injectors
coils

the thing thats worried me is that i have a seperate breather as i've fitted a K&N, when i rev the engine white smoke comes from the breather! the gas smells like exhaust fumes, when i listen to the exhaust the car doesn't seem to be in rhythm, its like its running 3/4 instead of 4/4. i think i have lost a little coolant but i've done 70 miles since the first time i noticed the problem.

any advice, experiance - thanks in advance

nope no mayo around the dipstick, filler cap or inside the breather, when i remove the filler cap though whilst the engine is running, it is making a gurgling sound.

can anyone check there punto 60s to see if this sounds right?

cheers,

pid119 is wondering about the head gasket. I'm wondering if the piston rings are worn and allowing combustion gas into the crankcase. This would pressurise the crankcase and sned gas out of the breather. It smells like exhaust fumes because it is (if I'm right).

What mileage is the car?

ahhh i see what you mean about the piston rings! the millage is 55k.

another explanation i've had is if the cat has colapsed the exhaust gas could be backing up through the valves.

how expensive is ti gonna be do you think for piston rings and labour? better or worse than a blown head gasket?

rpaterson said:
pid119 is wondering about the head gasket. I'm wondering if the piston rings are worn and allowing combustion gas into the crankcase. This would pressurise the crankcase and sned gas out of the breather. It smells like exhaust fumes because it is (if I'm right).

What mileage is the car?

that would have been my next suggestion (y) easier to change engine i think, its time for a conversion ?!!

Last edited:
hmm that doesn't sound good!

any suggestions for conversions, refurb costs?

what causes the rings to go? and is it common on the punto?

cheers for all your help btw,

a gt conversion can be done quite easy its been done quite a few times now

hmm i might have insurance issues with the gt, would consider a swap to a 16v sporting -will it be a straight swap or would i need new ecu, starters, K&N or could i use the ones of my 60s

well its gone into the garage today, i've been told that it is unlikely the piston rings but he'll pull of the fault codes for me.
as for the smoke from the breather appraently it it quite normal when you fit a seperate breather filter. the mechanic actually said that the filters i had fitted were a good idea!
i'll let you know how it goes! :)

right got the diagnosis, low compresion on No.1 cylinder - head gasket blown, exhaust fumes where detected in the water, but still no mayo etc.

so for £215 he is gonna stick a new head gasket on (skim the head if neede be), oil/ coolant change and stick a new cam belt on - not a bad price to me

cheers fishdoode,

all done and dusted now, i've got the old gasket back and you just see it carbonising on No.1 cyclinder, it hadn't gone much but enough for a new one. luckily i detected it early and only did 4 miles on it (distance to the garage)

one thing have since been told though (by the mechanic) is that the breather filter on the cam cover does not offer sufficent breathing for the engine!
when he went to drain the oil it normally runs out however the breather filter so restricting so much that it took ages to drain, wondering why he removed the filter and out the oil came - the engine relies on the suction through the induction kit (i did have the breather going in here once upon a time) to let the engine breathe sufficently. - just though i would let you all know that there is no point in fitting a seperate breather filter to a punto! ;)

Back