General Smokey, Blue Smokey!

Currently reading:
General Smokey, Blue Smokey!

hi there, my little punto over the last couple of months has been blowing blue smoke on start up from being left for about 1hr, but as soon as you get it on the open road and do about 1/2 a mile, all smoke clears and never happens again until it's left, i would be thinking 1 or 2 valve guides,:confused: poss??. i tryed wynn's stop smoke to try and solve the problem, but it scemes to have made things worse. put in when oil is warm as per instructions on the bottle. so i dunno what is best to get a 2nd hand engine, or mabye get this engine repaired, it's done 108k, not sure on the engine history as bought the car 6 months ago.

great for any advice.

Jj

Hi I'm no expert and new to the site but I'd be taking out the spark plugs and if the electrodes are caked in oil as mine are im blowing similar smoke // I changed plugs , took off rocker cover and separated it and power washed it /put back with new gasket and sealant , new air filter and cleaned the breather pipes , draining oil overnight and will probably take off sump and clean out , will let you know what the result is with fresh oil and a filter , I'm going on some oil on top due to leaky rocker and possibly thin useless oil making way through from other end , probably dreaming but will let you know if there's any improvement

Last edited:
If it smokes badly on start up but then clears - its usually the stem seals or worn valve guides

If it smokey when under hard load - usually gummed up piston rings/broken rings/worn bores

---

My advice, get a basic compression test done
If its got good dry and then wet compressions, i'd just get the head reworked

IF the compression is low on 1 and not others, get a 2nd hand engine

Ziggy

thanks for the reply guys, it's only after start up, i can fill the road with blue smoke, but i drive less than 1/4 mile down the road, hard throttle, no smoke. so i would be more into thinking valve guides. it does sceme low on power, ( my mk1 punto felt faster on acceleration than this1 ) how much would having this work cost about?

Just to say all my work oil changes etc to no avail car was perfect for a day or so then everything came back / you might get away with some kind of treatment for your valves you're lucky you're not loosing coolent and steaming at the back

Back