Technical Smoke out of the dash vents?, ah, not good!

Currently reading:
Technical Smoke out of the dash vents?, ah, not good!

Okay, My problem child has a new problem ;)

It's smoking quite heavily from junctions etc, but appears to be completley random and more linked to if the clutch is depressed any length of time :confused:

If i sit in neutral, no matter how long it takes, when i pull away, i get no smoke at all out the back....

anyway, i changed the oil the other day, and topped it up to in between the minimum and maximum on the dipstick. Since its been really warm here, i've got the fans set up to the cold air/outside setting, but the fan itself isnt on.

When sitting at a junction, traffic lights etc, smoke starts to come out of the dashboard vents!. not ideal ;) a look around under the bonnet when it smokes shows nothing. the car isn't overheating in the slightest, isn't down on power, doesnt appear to be using much in the way of oil :confused:

The heater itself works fine, theres no coolant leaks under pressure etc, any idea why im getting the smoke in the vents? im a bit stumped right now!

what does the smoke smell like? are the fans on? what speed are they set on? the speed controller for the fan uses a large resistor to slow the fan motor down, if it is overheating (it's under most load at the lowest speed setting on the fan) then it could smoke.

BUT

if it is linked to clutch, and you get smoke when holding your foot on the clutch for a while - then it sounds like the adjustment is wrong, so not fully disengaging when pressing clutch, so is just slipping and smoking

I had my first smoke coming out the top of my engine bay tonight !
was not impressed. luckily i was right near the car park i was heading to, i parked up, opened bonnet, couldnt see anything burnt, how ever i had a look under the car and i had a leak, checked my coolant level, 3/4 full, came back couple hours later, leak had stopped but coolant level 1/2 full.

leaking back behind the oil filter, need to go under at the weekend and have a look. blooming car.

it might just be a bit of oil on the manifold/down pipe. it collects under the bonnet when still.
does it smell of engine oil burning?
if you can see any oil leaking then id not worry and it should go.

Thats what i was hoping :) I'll have a good look with the inspection light tomorrow to see if anythings getting onto the manifold, it does smell like an oily burn smell, so hopefully thats all it is.... its done it 4 times in the past day since the oil change, hopefully it'll settle down.

i'm also getting alot of burny smells from the clutch, i think thats where im getting the standing start smoke from.... im running on a bodged rear gearbox mount right now. which probably doesnt help matters all that much when it comes to correct clutch adjustment and how it all sits on hills and slopes!

i'll be slipping a 1.4 in it soon anyway, so if it did somehow turn out to be something worse... not really a problem, just baffled me a bit! :p

what does the smoke smell like? are the fans on? what speed are they set on? the speed controller for the fan uses a large resistor to slow the fan motor down, if it is overheating (it's under most load at the lowest speed setting on the fan) then it could smoke.

BUT

if it is linked to clutch, and you get smoke when holding your foot on the clutch for a while - then it sounds like the adjustment is wrong, so not fully disengaging when pressing clutch, so is just slipping and smoking

Yeah, the start smoke is clutch related, im certain, the fans arent on at all. The clutch was brand new in 2 months ago, then the mount went, and i think thats caused alot of trouble, then i got a faulty part, so bodged the old one with a big bolt through it,noisy, but just about does the trick as a temp fix. ive got a new one, but my jacks broken, so cant fix it atm :eek:

it would tie in as to why the clutch and 1st arent always quite right if it wasnt sitting right on the mount... looks like i'd better get to work on that first, then sort the adjustment out until project 1.4 is go(y)

Back