small to medium car with good auto gearbox

Currently reading:
small to medium car with good auto gearbox

what is out there in the £4-6k price range

dual logic is out
nissan juke is out
yarris is out

is there any that don't have a dodgy auto box, what's a honda jazz auto box like?

You could get a Suzuki swift 1.5 glx or sz3-4 auto for that easily..depends what you classify as dodgy autobox. If you mean old school torque converter (actually more reliable than the manual in the swift) then it's out as it's a 4 speed torque converter. Although looking at your list of no's you're avoiding CVT and robotised manuals?

You could probably get a 1.2 new model for budget but it's still a 4sp and the 1.2 is dual vvt so needs a bootful of revs so maybe better to suck up the fuel and tax difference.

Last edited:
not avoiding any type, just ones with loads of people moaning about them on the internet

looked into nissan duke and reviews all said it was a good car apart from the auto box.

i like the punto mk2 box that we have now that is cvt with a torque converter

Last edited:
You can find people moaning about anything. I spend a lot of time on these forums and the duologic hardly has a complaint especially in the Qubo area where many of the owners have one. Good mpg and a manual override.

what is out there in the £4-6k price range
...is there any that don't have a dodgy auto box, what's a honda jazz auto box like?

Honda CVTs are incredibly reliable and fuel efficient. They put the CVT 'box in the Jazz and also the car that I've got: a Honda Insight. These are petrol/electric hybrids and my Insight will do 60+mpg everywhere - including around town. 70mpg on a long, gentle run, and 50mpg if you're clumsy as hell. And £10 p.a. road tax. And Honda always come first in the Reliability Index.

The Jazz IMA CVT starts at about £7k, but £5k or £6k will get you into a Honda Insight, which is actually a better, bigger, more comfortable and more 'grown up' car to drive. The HE and HX versions are nicely kitted out with leather, sat.nav., cruise control, auto wipers, auto lights, voice recognition, integrated bluetooth, etc. It's also quite distinctive, as there are only 9,000 of them in the UK. It's my only sensible car...

Maybe worth a look?
Insight 1 copy.JPG

Last edited:
Honda CVTs are incredibly reliable and fuel efficient. They put the CVT 'box in the Jazz and also the car that I've got: a Honda Insight. These are petrol/electric hybrids and my Insight will do 60+mpg everywhere - including around town. 70mpg on a long, gentle run, and 50mpg if you're clumsy as hell. And £10 p.a. road tax. And Honda always come first in the Reliability Index.

The Jazz IMA CVT starts at about £7k, but £5k or £6k will get you into a Honda Insight, which is actually a better, bigger, more comfortable and more 'grown up' car to drive. The HE and HX versions are nicely kitted out with leather, sat.nav., cruise control, auto wipers, auto lights, voice recognition, integrated bluetooth, etc. It's also quite distinctive, as there are only 9,000 of them in the UK. It's my only sensible car...

Maybe worth a look?
View attachment 161893

Thanks for the info. Cars i don't know how to fix worry me a little but if they don't break i suppose its worth looking into. if retail on a jazz is 7k i might pick one up at local auction for less, i will take a look up there. they often have ex mobility cars.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Any one know if later micras kept the same ctv box the earlier ones shared with a mk2 punto?

Maybe worth a look?
View attachment 161893
i went to bid on an insight at local auction, it sold for more than they go for on ebay :confused:

Back