small bones in your feet...

Currently reading:
small bones in your feet...

arc

this is where i stand
Are these easy to break? I have no idea what ive done but my right foot has been hurting for the past week or so, it seems to come and go in waves - most of the time tho i cant put much weight on it. It hurts on the end of my foot where all the toes go (i'd rock as a doctor!). Anyone know if breaking one of them bones, might be what ive done - or i suppose i could've just really badly bruised it, but its not gone funny colours.

think i may go see a doctor if it doesnt sort itself out!

Hi,

I broke my toe a few weeks ago and it was very easy. I would like to say it was doing some extreme sport, but I was carrying our little boy down stairs and caught my toe on the stair gate and snapped it back. I bent it back straight (or so I thought).

At first it hurt a lot, then it started swelling up and the pain went away. Then a few days later it really hurt so I went to the doc's and he said I had broken it and that it would have been better to get a professional to straighten it as it was too late now and it would always be a bit bent.

I would go and have it checked out. I would not recommend DIY surgery.

Andy

Yes it's quite easy to break one of your bones as they are pretty small. As Dave says it could be one of the other components such as ligaments and tendons that hold the foot together that's pulled/ snapped. The foot is a pretty complex thing being so flexible. Best to get it checked :)

Steve, you'd be surprised how quickly you can get seen these days at non-peak times, only problem is it will be probably a nurse who will have to call for a doctor who will have 30 people to see first ;)

problem is, GP in stafford is about as much use as tits on a bull (recall the mumps fiasco?) and the GP in st annes (home, where im going in 10mins) is closed on saturdays! bleh!

Try going to a vet, they can normally see you way quicker than a doctor.

Just don't be offended if they pat you on the head.

Andy

arc said:
Are these easy to break? I have no idea what ive done but my right foot has been hurting for the past week or so, it seems to come and go in waves - most of the time tho i cant put much weight on it. It hurts on the end of my foot where all the toes go (i'd rock as a doctor!). Anyone know if breaking one of them bones, might be what ive done - or i suppose i could've just really badly bruised it, but its not gone funny colours.

Gout?

arc said:

lol nice summary... u have 26 bones in your foot.

where exactly on this pic do u hurt?

Attachments

• foot.jpg
    foot.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 8
It's possible that you have broken a metatarsel, but it is more likely bruised or chipped. Unless there is a full break, which is unlikely, otherwise any weight on it would be very painful all the time, they will just advise you to keep your weight off it as much as possible. Bruising the bone will not cause any discolouration of the skin, that is caused by broken capilliaries beneath the skin leading to minor heamoraging then clotting.

Back