General Slipping Clutch

Currently reading:
General Slipping Clutch

9jdm

Hi,
The clutch has started slipping in 4th and 5th gears. It is the dual mass and I am being quoted daft numbers.
how long can I expect to be able to drive the car before it gets worse and what will happen.
Thanks,

How longs' a piece of string? It all depends on your driving style, it'll last longest if you drive like a granny. Worst case scenario is no drive.

It will only get worse. You might as well change it as soon as possible and get the most benefit from it, or sell the car now with the fault disclosed.

Which Stilo version are we talking about - you mention DMF - is it an Abarth, manual or Selespeed?

I don't know about the JTD but if it's an Abarth, I'd consider re-using the DMF (if you get to it in time, before slipping damages it) or fitting a second-hand DMF (it seems to me they are not that fragile on the 2.4 petrol engine, and you might as well try to keep costs down.)

-Alex

Last edited:
Hi,
The clutch has started slipping in 4th and 5th gears. It is the dual mass and I am being quoted daft numbers.
how long can I expect to be able to drive the car before it gets worse and what will happen.
Thanks,

If I remember correctly you have a JTD. The clutch and DMF can be replaced separately, no need to change them both if its only the clutch that has failed/slipping.

Get the clutch replaced as soon as you can and while its being done get the DMF checked. They're quite robust so I wouldn't expect it to have failed.

Back