Technical Slipping clutch

Currently reading:
Technical Slipping clutch

JonnyBhoy

I bought an 1.2 8v punto 02 plate with 80k miles on it and noticed that the clutch is quite high and going up hills it over revs in gear with no power could this cause poor fuel consumption?

I bought an 1.2 8v punto 02 plate with 80k miles on it and noticed that the clutch is quite high and going up hills it over revs in gear with no power could this cause poor fuel consumption?

Ah love one word answers :)

anyway JonnyBhoy - the clutch slipping is an issue that you really do need to look at or atleast let a decent mechanic look at

the clutch slipping is creating excessive friction as the middle plate (friction plate) has worn too thin

The Rivets that hold the plate together are probably now starting to scrape across your flywheel - which will damage it in the long run

Based on it doing 80k on original clutch - its ready

While the Gearbox is out - the input shaft needs to be checked for play

If the clutch was in Okay condition - then i suspect the next common issue is the input bearing has failed - making the seal leak
Spraying Gearbox oil all over the clutch - making it slip

The gearbox will need to be repaired - because if you dont - the new clutch will be fowled again by the leak - and you'll be back at square one
needing a box repair still if you havent now destroyed it - and a new clutch!

Ziggy

Back