Technical Slipping clutch

Currently reading:
Technical Slipping clutch

I've not had to replace a clutch yet on any Punto.......well that's cursed it now ;) seems like the clutch is a common problem that maybe Fiat should have sorted out (n)

the clutches they fit are cheap and rubbish, I got a valieo (sp) one and have had it for more than 20k without any sign of fault. (unlike the 3 in the first 10k of having the car when fiat fitted them).

If your not paying for them dont worry about it but as soon as you do have to pay take it elsewhere...

Are they still covered in the third year? I'm so embarassed taking my car there... seems to be in evey other month. I'm very close to the end of the 3rd year.

Seen a Valeo kit on shop4parts, for 80 notes, but I'm sure the fitting and labour at any garage far exceeds this... twice!

I was driving in slow traffic on the way home from work just now, it was the worse it has ever been. Juddering like mad, constantly.. I got so annoyed with it, I booted the accelerator, and let the clutch go (slight wheelspin.. poor car :( ) and it seems to have stopped..

Musta cleaned up the faces of the clutch / flywheel?

More than likely come back though..

yep i have aa cover and clucth has warranty on it still

annoying thing was my old clutch never juddered just slipped and release bearing went. when i got new one it was great felt great and no slippping then 2 months on few judders when engaging gear, and 6 months on few slips happening.

what actually casues it, hmmm guess not much point asking that as fiat dont even know or they would sort it lol

That can only be the way you all drive! A clutch should last minimum 60k miles when driven properly.

Drive it wrong and you can burn a clutch out in less than a week (although that's extreme)

I got so annoyed with it, I booted the accelerator, and let the clutch go (slight wheelspin.. poor car :( ) and it seems to have stopped..

Musta cleaned up the faces of the clutch / flywheel?

Yeah, sounds like you're riding the clutch a little much.

That can only be the way you all drive! A clutch should last minimum 60k miles when driven properly.

Drive it wrong and you can burn a clutch out in less than a week (although that's extreme)

Fair point, but wonder why 4th clutch in Punto had other cars for much longer no problem.......the way I drive hasn't changed?

Every Fiat I have known has done 60K to 80K miles per clutch so no reason to suppose there is a design fault.

How about taking the garage a good Valeo kit (both plates and release bearing) for them to fit and make sure they check the gearbox oil seal just in case that is what's making it slip. It would be worth £80 to not have it go again in a year's time.

TBH I'm surprised the warranty covers wear and tear.

After that be VERY careful to not rest your foot on the clutch pedal and dont hold it at traffic lights on the clutch especially (like never) on hills.

Last edited:
Back