Technical Slipping Clutch

Currently reading:
Technical Slipping Clutch

david295

Established member
MK2 Y-reg 1.2 8v

I left for a drive to Dorset from the wirral, i got 76 mile into trip put my foot down to over take on motorway, and car was just revving i assume the clutch is slipping, does this mean its time for new clutch, and is it easy to do, thanks

The normal Punto clutch failure mode is to not release properly so the gearshifts get stiff. Clutch slip usually means oil on the drive plate. The usual source is the gearbox inputs shaft bearing and seal. It means a new clutch and probably a gearbox repair. Even with a "normal" clutch failure, the input bearing must be checked the should be NO backlash or play in the bearing.

The gearbox has to come out of the car. Haynes have the details and a Forum Guide by @MrWild will show you how to fix the gearbox bearing.

I have a theory (though others say its unlikely) the bearing fails because of running dry on cold starts. Cars parked on a UK LHS road camber will have all the oil at the other end of the gearbox so the input end is dry on startup. Once moving the oil will slosh about but meantime the input end is dry(er).

Last edited:
Wirral FTW :slayer::slayer:

This happened to me a while back, try and get the car moving from a standstill in gear 3 whilst revving the **** out of it. If it slipps and just redlines back into neutral then its ****ed!!

I discovered this whilst ragging the car down by Cereal Partners at the back of the Bromborough croft. :(

However changing it is not difficult. Hardest bit is getting gearbox out (and its heavy as ****!)

:yum:

to change a clutch.. really a 2 man job difficult on your own and your looking at atleast 1 good days work or even 2! my clutch slipped like mad! but it was beaucse it was so worn there was no oil on the fly wheel or on the clutch plate etc so your clutch is really badly worn or you have oil on it.. even then there a chance of cocking it up like i did...it wasnt alligned properly was out by a few mm's ending up fking the drive plate of the clutch, payed 120 at a grage and they had it done in couple of hours.. personally i would never do a clutch again on a car give it to the people that know what there doing and have the appropreate tools etc, it saves ALOT of hard work its no easy job, any one who says other wise is mad! here a pic of how bad my new clutch went and i wish i just payed the 120 to start off with!

Attachments

• IMG00171-20110427-1647.jpg
    IMG00171-20110427-1647.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
My Clutch Let go due to Wear and tear

It started to slip only now and then - car drove fine otherwise
For it start getting worse and worse (as it would)
the Friction material is wearing very thin, and little pressure is been applied

However - DONT IGNORE IT!
get it in the garage - get it fixed

If the Friction material does Finally Fin - then you've rubbin Pressure plate onto Flywheel - Hello sweet Love noise and There both buggered and Need Replacing

No driving just to shops - straight to garage :)

Ziggy

Please learn to use the caps key properly. :(

S4P and Euro sell genuine parts. The others might not. Its your option.

You will also need a new gearbox bearing and seal. Google and Forum search for information but they are standard off the shelf parts from bearing factors so they are cheap.

Ask Ziggy how he knows that!!

Yea g.box no2 (when i was a noob) was like that
Lasted about 2 weeks - total of 100miles :(

Btw Whitesei - i got my Box back from been reconditioned - The bearings in my box in general were all Facked :cry::cry: Due to the damaged bearings it damaged a few Syncro's so they were replaced

So for £250 for the Reconditioning process - I'm back running again with a Now Quiet G.box :slayer::slayer:

Ziggy

david pay a grage to do it its worth it man they will check everything for you and wont forget anything as they wont get stressed, belive me its a stressfull job im a complete novie but had a help from my gf's dad who re condictions alot of old minis etc and done alot of clutch changes before.. but mistakes happen its worth just taking it in if your near birmingham city center clutches is a good one to go too, you get warrenty and then check ups all for free and real good coustomer service

Good advice. I had my clutch done by the local guy £120 labour plus parts. It wasn't worth struggling on my own when he has the car lift and tall jacks etc. Just heed what Ziggy says make sure they check and repair the gearbox.

I personally believe** its worth shoving an extra 250ml of oil into the gearbox. It might make no difference but that amount wont be harmful and it might just provide that bit more lube on startup. The only gearbox bearing under any real load when the engine starts is the input shaft. The others are all sitting in oil & they get moving later when the spinning input shaft has splashed stuff around.

** I'm often wrong but what harm can it do? :) Just dont flood it with extra oil.

PS Well done Ziggy. Shame you had so many attempts to get it fixed.

i have just been quoted £80 to take out gear box and sort leak out, and new fit new clutch kit it i supply part, is this about right

It would be cheap for the clutch alone and you also have a gearbox fault so I think its too cheap. Go back and quiz the guy.

There is a guide by @MrWild for doing the gearbox bearing. Its probably 2 hour's labour for a guy who has done it before. Then you have to do the clutch which is at least 2 hours probably three.

Back