Technical Sky roof problem

Currently reading:
Technical Sky roof problem

coffee

:bang: the summer is coming and my giant sky roof is not working.

when trying to open, opens about 1 inch and than gets jammed and it sounds like a hammer drill. :eek: so i rather turn the button back and it gos back normally, but also the blind closes about 1/4 the distance as well. than it all stops.

could it be the motor? or the actuator? is it easy to replace?
the awful sound gos from the box above the mirror.

thanks for replies.

hi, sorry i dont know much about how this works but if it is making a noise then both the electrics that operate it and also the motor in it are working fine, the noise could be come kind of cog slipping inside the mechanisim that moves it.

Mabye one that has worn down over time.

Hope this helps,
Nick.

sureley a stuck skyroof isnt a reason to sell a car all by itslef? (n)
I suspect you'd feel pretty sick knowing, on a hot sunny day, that you did have a nice sun-roof but now you can't use it - I know I would :cry:

If only people spent a little time on preventative maintenance, like actually cleaning it once and a while, then they'd last a lot longer.

I hope for the OP's sake it can be opened manually for a clean :chin:

well today I went to fiat service - an awful experience. they charged me 300 for full service (just regular one) and for telling me that they were unable to fix the headlight servo and sky roof. Besides that I havn't asked them to fix the sky roof. after taking the car from service i realized they ,messed up even what was working. Now the sky roof is completly dead and the blind as well. I went back with the car asked them to put it back as it was. 3 mechanics were working on it 1/2 hour just to tell me that some glass shatters are in and they can't fix it. the blind and roof are still totally dead.
If any one is interestes where deffo no to go it was in tractamotors in blanch in dublin.

time to get the welder out (y)

Honestly though the dealer you took it to have no clue, you can't get any advice from the people who made the skyroof so either fix it yourself or try a merc dealer as it's the same sunroof that's on the A-class, although the merc service department did fall below fiat quite a few times

do the reset procedure,on mine the glass would always retract as it thinks its saw something in the tracks and the blind would only go 3/4 shut.I had to manually close the roof.After that the roof seemed dead.

Did the reset procedure and the roof opened fully and then continued to close,upon closing there was a massive grind sound.Seems that the blind was alligned as it was always at a slight angle on its runners. The reset bought it all back align and works fully now.

do the reset procedure,on mine the glass would always retract as it thinks its saw something in the tracks and the blind would only go 3/4 shut.I had to manually close the roof.After that the roof seemed dead.

Did the reset procedure and the roof opened fully and then continued to close,upon closing there was a massive grind sound.Seems that the blind was alligned as it was always at a slight angle on its runners. The reset bought it all back align and works fully now.

I might try something like that, though, after the servicing it seems to be no power in blind or sky roof. The only thing what can I do is to push the turning button for sky roof and it gives me that grind sound. Is it there any chance that they messing around with programming?

As said, the mechanism is most likely jammed due to lake of maintenance.

If it's not possible of open it manually with the key then you might as well bite the bullet, drop the lining, and attempt to remove the main motor which is very close to the switch. The best you can hope for is that the motor itself is jammed which is preventing the roof from being opened manually.

Once you CAN open it manually then you could either replace the motor completely (it IS a separate part) or perhaps try replacing it once everything has been cleaned and is sliding smoothly.

If it's still jammed then it's mostly the end of the road for your sky-roof since you can't buy spares (aside from the 2 motors) :(

this all sound very much like what happen to mine, apart the blind did go back but folded back and closed now will not work we get that grind sound when we treid to reset it. one thing is last time it stuck we open it on a fast road, it cleared and we restet it and this time it was on the motorway I hoping that if I leave it a bit it will be ok, like most thing the go wrong with this car, walk away and go back a day or two later a try and mostly it works.

Back