Styling Side Rubbing Strips Removal

Currently reading:
Styling Side Rubbing Strips Removal

Not sure if this is the right section but i have the side rubbing strips on my sporting and wanted to know how to remove them and if they can be refitted?
Any info would be great

I actually fitted them to my Active but if you want to take them off....

they are held on my double sided tape best way i can see is to warm the surrounding body work with a hair dryer to soften the tape then use a high breaking strain fishing line like a chease wire then clean off the adhesive and tape remains with a solvent like autoglym tar spot remover..

the tape is about 6mm wide and compleately surrounds the moulding with the center been hollow...

as for refitting you would need to source some double sided tape of the aprox thickness

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right section but i have the side rubbing strips on my sporting and wanted to know how to remove them and if they can be refitted?
Any info would be great

they are stuck on with adhesive tape.apply a high heat ie powerful hairdryer:)then very carefully use ie fishing rod gut/wire to get behind still applying the heat they will come off.then apply a good cleaning polish that will take any residue left on the car off:)

I believe my new GP will be coming with the rubbing strips.

Although they do look pretty awful (would be better body coloured) I really can't make my mind up whether I should keep them or risk the wrath of the inconsiderate car parker and ask for them to be removed (need to decide soon as the car will be "Supaguarded").

What are other people doing with theirs?

Although they do look pretty awful (would be better body coloured) I really can't make my mind up whether I should keep them or risk the wrath of the inconsiderate car parker and ask for them to be removed (need to decide soon as the car will be "Supaguarded").

Exactly my dilemma, mine came with them on and cant decide if to take them off. The problem with them is that they sit right above the fold/line in the panel so kind of ruin the image and detract from the slightly flared arches. Suppose it all depends where you park your car most of the time! i.e on public carparks/work car parks.
Thanks for the advise, might give it a go at weekend

DO NOT GET IT SUPERGAURDED ITS A FRICKIN EXPENSIVE CON

yeah do it yourself for 1/10th of the cost. I had it done free ::D

i mean stay clear from it entirely.if not done by proffesional valeter it will leave thousands of swirl maks on new paintwork.its that tough to remove(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)

I have just had the side rubbing strips removed on my GP... cos they were stuck in the wrong place by some muppet at Fiat. They had been fixed below the crease instead of above it and were starting to come off the rear wing. They cannot be refixed once removed. New ones have been fitted under warranty, but on the passenger side they took the top layer of paint off and left a line all the way along the door! So now I am waiting for Fiats area manager to get involved as it looks like they will have to respray the affected side of the car. I'm not impressed to say the least. Personally I wouldnt take them off yourself. Let a Fiat dealer do it (at next service or something) and if they balls it up they can sort it out.

I have removed them without problem & refitted new ones in the correct position (same problem as yours 'koksy') & actually think they looked ok (silver/grey car) but hey i'm no style guru thats for sure!

Shame about the paint coming off,probably a one off but crap when it's your car thats the one off:(

They're an optional extra. Personally I think GP's look better with the side rubbing strips but each to his own as they say...

I have to agree with you..

showphoto.php

Back