Styling Side Moulding Colour-Coding?

Currently reading:
Styling Side Moulding Colour-Coding?

Nello

Established member
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
854
Points
224
Location
Warwickshire
OK Guys anyone with any Hints or Tips on Side Moulding/Rub-Strip removal/re-attachment and Painting? Want to spray mine to suit in Steel Gray?
Obviously I know you'll need special plastic paint but they seem to be well
secured and difficult to remove without scratching the doors?
 
Nello said:
OK Guys anyone with any Hints or Tips on Side Moulding/Rub-Strip removal/re-attachment and Painting? Want to spray mine to suit in Steel Gray?
Obviously I know you'll need special plastic paint but they seem to be well
secured and difficult to remove without scratching the doors?

The link that Stripey gave you said it all even down to the clips that brake it cost me £160 to get mine done the other week and one i didnt fancy tackling myself incase i damaged the doors/bumpers .My stilo is also Steel grey and the match is A1
 
Nello said:
OK Guys anyone with any Hints or Tips on Side Moulding/Rub-Strip removal/re-attachment and Painting? Want to spray mine to suit in Steel Gray?
Obviously I know you'll need special plastic paint but they seem to be well
secured and difficult to remove without scratching the doors?



It's easy! You don't have to remove them either just mask them up, if you use 1" masking tape you will find this easy to shape round the mouldings!(y) Gently sand the surface of your mouldings with 500grit paper then clean off using some panel wipe or any alcohol based cleaner/degreaser. Spray some plastic adhesion primer on 1 coat is enough, then leave it for 1/2 an hour to dry. Then spray 4 full coats of filler primer on, leaving 10mins btween each coat. Get some 600 wet & dry & gently rub the primer smooth. Again clean the mouldings with the panel wipe & allow to dry. Apply 3 full coats of your topcoat, again allowing at least 10mins to dry between coats, then 1 final coat which should be a drop coat (hold the can further away) this will give a uniform finish & help the paint settle. Once dry apply 2 full coats of lacquer & leave overnight!(y)
 
PNL said:
The link that Stripey gave you said it all even down to the clips that brake it cost me £160 to get mine done the other week and one i didnt fancy tackling myself incase i damaged the doors/bumpers .My stilo is also Steel grey and the match is A1

Where did you get that done PNL mate? - Dealer?
 
If you want to do it anyway, door handle removal is easy (took mine off before I went in).

Open the door, and remove the black cap that is on the same horizontal line as the handle. In there is a Torx T20 grub screw; undo it as much as possible (it doesn't come out!!).

Then, remove the cap next to the handle on the door, pull the handle towards the rear of the car, then pull out gently and remove.

Takes all of 30 seconds!
 
rroope said:
If you want to do it anyway, door handle removal is easy (took mine off before I went in).

Open the door, and remove the black cap that is on the same horizontal line as the handle. In there is a Torx T20 grub screw; undo it as much as possible (it doesn't come out!!).

Then, remove the cap next to the handle on the door, pull the handle towards the rear of the car, then pull out gently and remove.

Takes all of 30 seconds!

thankyu sod maskin id balls it up and y make a job harder
 
rroope said:
If you want to do it anyway, door handle removal is easy (took mine off before I went in).

Open the door, and remove the black cap that is on the same horizontal line as the handle. In there is a Torx T20 grub screw; undo it as much as possible (it doesn't come out!!).

Then, remove the cap next to the handle on the door, pull the handle towards the rear of the car, then pull out gently and remove.

Takes all of 30 seconds!

Here rroope...............I only work in Warwick - You could do mine in me lunch-break?!?!?!!!! :D
 
Nello said:
Where did you get that done PNL mate? - Dealer?


The company I used is named AUTO BODY PERFECTIONS here in cardiff they do a lot of body mod work so that was the deciding reason I chose to use them [cars they have modified have won BEST in Show here and abroard so that was good enough i think for me (y) it may seem excesive to some ppl at £160 but when you consider the time that such a little mod takes and the cost off just the clips then i suppose the price is justified (y) oh and its a vast improvement visualy on the standard black :yuck:
 
chromegrey said:
i've just spent £48 on paint, primer, sand paper, tak cloths, and varnish from here http://www.auto-paint.co.uk/

i'll see how easy it is to paint the bits at the weekend hopefully

paint has arrived, door strips off and bump strips (except rear). new door clips on order, all but three snapped when removing strips. should all be done by the weekend :slayer: then the skirts need fitting :confused:
 
front bumper and side done!
 

Attachments

  • DSC00674.JPG
    DSC00674.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC00673.JPG
    DSC00673.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 60
Looks like a top job there m8, its suprising how much of a difference they make :)

Just noticed you've got black mesh on bottom sections of your bumper, which is what i want to do to mine? Did you buy them as inserts or just buy the meshing and cut in down and bond it to the inner of the bumper like fitting mesh on bodykits??
 
1.8Stilo said:
Looks like a top job there m8, its suprising how much of a difference they make :)

Just noticed you've got black mesh on bottom sections of your bumper, which is what i want to do to mine? Did you buy them as inserts or just buy the meshing and cut in down and bond it to the inner of the bumper like fitting mesh on bodykits??

i bought some black mesh, cut it out (took ages) and pulled the plastic grills out and used cable ties to hold it in, then pushed the grills back in place ;)
 
Back
Top