General Should I Buy This Punto?

Currently reading:
General Should I Buy This Punto?

sherry_d

Hi Guys. I am look for a cheap reliable runner. I have found this one on gumtree http://www.gumtree.com/london/95/10353495.html and i may view it this weekend but i stumbled on this forum when i was looking for punto reviews.

The car will be mainly to do the school runs which adds up to around 20miles a day so what do you think of this car.

Its the first time i will go on my own to buy a car so i am really anxious on knowing if the engine is in good nick or not. Please advise me and if there are any other question i may need to ask. From this forum it seems there are problems with the red or blue keys and the the power steering playing up. Is that really a big problem that i may have to put off. If you guys have any other siggestestion of a car i can buy please for around £600 please advise me

And also what do you think of the price. mind it has some paint peeling off

tbh if u want a cheap reliable car get a japanese motor.(I know i shudn't be saying that).
My mate bought a G reg Nissan Sunny for £200, and it runs like a dream.
Still got some power, full electrics, and no rust.
The japanese cars r built to last, inside and out.
There engines will almost never go wrong.

tbh if u want a cheap reliable car get a japanese motor.(I know i shudn't be saying that).
My mate bought a G reg Nissan Sunny for £200, and it runs like a dream.
Still got some power, full electrics, and no rust.
The japanese cars r built to last, inside and out.
There engines will almost never go wrong.

:eek: ...:chin: now what would I wanna drive more? A G-reg sunny? :yuck: or a mk1 punto... lmao, tough choice :rolleyes: :p

sherry_d

For £600 I dont think you can really go far wrong... take someone with you that knows a little about engines. Check the body panels have even gaps, and no sign of crash damage.
Take it for a spin and check that the rear radius arms have been done.. you will feel it in in the steering wheel wobble if they need doing.
Also the timing belt, but they are safe engines anyway, so even if it was to snap, all would be ok (y)

You might wanna ask them exactly what it is... because a 1.1 would be a 55bhp but they are advertising it as a 60bhp, which would be a 1.2 8v

As for the school run, I've been doing just fine with my school runs for the past 4 years in my puntos. They are great little run arounds, with more class than a flippin nissan sunny :yuck:

And as for the colour... well im a little biased on that one :eek: :D

O also, you say about the red/blue key situation.. its not actually that big a problem.. better to have a red key if possible, but not the end of the world if you dont.
I dont have one for my elx (green one) and im not worried.

And as for power steering problems, i think you may be refering to the mk2 puntos... I've never had a problem with my mk1 steering and it's not really a problem we hear about on the forum :)

EDIT:

And I just looked at the advert again...

To me it looks more likely to be a 60 SX 1.2 8v

Which is a better spec than what they have it advertised as (y) i would deff go have a look :)

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Will go and see it tommorrow. I really havent got anyone to go with so thats why i came on the forum for help. Like you missey i really dont want a car more than 10years old so thats why i am looking at puntos

Back