General Should I but a Stilo?

Currently reading:
General Should I but a Stilo?

minimad99

Driver Extraordinaire
Hi,

I'd like an honest opinion about the 3dr JTD stilio. I'm thinking of buying a second hand example, maybe a 02 or 52 plate.

Are they good cars, or your usual fiat crap? I'm abit worried about all the electrics in them, alot to go wrong, especially the aircon which i've read threads on.

any thoughts???

Cheers ;)

Well you know, Fiat did used to have a reputation for not making the best cars, look at the old Panda's for instance.

Your car however looks great, sorr for any offence, none intended.

minimad99 said:
Well you know, Fiat did used to have a reputation for not making the best cars, look at the old Panda's for instance.

Your car however looks great, sorr for any offence, none intended.

er thanks - yes they do have a bad rep - but fiat now are coming out with some great cars - the only fiat i have had a problem with was my 94 punto - was always having problems.

the bravo however i currently have is a great car - done 103k and nothing has ever gone wrong with it - the stilos have taken over the bravo/as so they should still hold that good standard.

BTW i have been considering getting one - but opted for the coupe instead

I would, they're ever so good, you may get the odd grumble from the electrics now and again, but it gives the car a bit of personality. Air con is warranty covered and build and spec is better than youll find anywhere for the money, i bought mine on an 02 with 28k on it, 5 dr 1.6 Dy with comfort pack 1 added - and im well chuffed, it was a grand less than a comparable 307 - you cant fault a saving like that.

And you dont see that many of them, and you get a pop out key what more could you ask for...

I would def go for one!

My bro-in-law bought a 3 door 1.9 JTD from new, in black. It was because of that I then purchased a Ulysse MPV, and because of that I bought a 2.4 Stilo Abarth!

Yep, you may get the odd glitch. I have a very good dealer though, and most things do get sorted. Plus I knew the level of support I would be getting from this forum alone!

Basically, I think I have made the right choices.

Stu

I f you are buying one of the early ones check out rear suspension squeaks and creaks over bumps and worn rear tyres on outside edge are a sign it needs a new subframe.And air con normally packs up after two years
I ve had all above on my 02 air con decided to pack up 1 week after two year import warranty expired
Also depreciation is bad if you buy one get it cheap

minimad99 said:
Hi,

I'd like an honest opinion about the 3dr JTD stilio. I'm thinking of buying a second hand example, maybe a 02 or 52 plate.

Are they good cars, or your usual fiat crap? I'm abit worried about all the electrics in them, alot to go wrong, especially the aircon which i've read threads on.

any thoughts???

Cheers ;)

It seems to be the luck of the draw if you get a good one. I've had a few minor problems and one major (tyre wear) I wouldn't mind if the problems were sorted out quickly, but I just get fobbed off at the dealers. They are incompetant, and Fiat don't seem to be able to fix a major problem - my car wouldn't budge in the snow while other cars just cruised past, slides around in the wet and wears out tyres like there's no tomorrow. This is supposed to have fixed, but the tyres are still wearing on the inside.
I wouldn't really recommend a Stilo.

No, I have owned 3 new fiats in the last 5 years. All have had a major fault of some kind. Although my 52 Stilo Abarth has been the better of the three.

Problem is build quality is poor combined with dealers who are lying, ignorant sob's.

Paint quality and bodywork is also ropey.

I won't be buying another fiat.

:eek: First: happy car owners, of any make and model, very rarely actively post in forums as most people do this only to find answers to an exisiting problem!!! So the negativity is in the nature of a forum. :D

This means that the vast majority of Forum members is experiencing some sort of problem with a car, otherwise they would not be here. There are a few exceptions of course. :confused:
The remaining vast majority, which in real life, represents the 99.99999999% of the owners, will never view or post in a forum.
You will always find negative comments about any car: e.g. you will find many negative posts against the Punto as well, but there are millions of Punto owners in Europe with very little or no problem at all, you simply do not know about them.
I have been myself a Punto owner for a few years, my wife the same and my father (3 Punto in total), and we have never had even a glitch with these cars. We haven never posted a message here neither.
The same for Stilos: of course you will always have a number of cars which can have a tech problem, especially due to the complexity fo more recent cars like the Stilo which are packed with electronics and sensors.
I know many people owning a Stilo now, more in Italy than in the UK, and all of them had no issues with their car: of course they do no post here, nor they know this forum exists. They just enjoy the car.
If you like the car just go for it: the chance of finding a problem is very low, the Stilo is generally extremely reliable and a few exceptions should not change your mind.
Do not forget that any Make and Model can have problems including cars with higher prices, but this does not mean they are all bad.
Somebody here has been very unlucky, you will read of people (very few really!) with several faults at the same time or similar horror stories. These fortunately are rare cases and can happen to any car owner including Jaguar, BMW or Ferrari.
I am absolutely sure that the vast majority of Stilo owners is extremely happy with the car: but they are not on this forum of course.

Back