Should Cyclists Be Made To Wear Helmets?

Currently reading:
Should Cyclists Be Made To Wear Helmets?

Helmets or not?

• Yeah

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 34.5%

• Total voters
I'm in the minority who think it should remain a choice rather than mandatory, yes I see why it is an extremely good idea to protect your head whilst riding a bike, however it doesn't effect anybody but me if I ride head first into a wall and shatter my skull (obviously I'm not including friends/families feelings or the person left to scrape up my body etc).
I think my inner rebel wakes up whenever I hear words like mandatory and compulsory. Not that I'm saying I want to get squished on a road, but I absolutely detest being told what I can and cannot do. Advice yes, information is power at the end of the day, but enforced bureaucracy on something that only relates to my own personal health/safety really infuriates me.
In a similar vein, seatbelts, yes I know they save lives etc and blah, and yes I do wear one, and I will ensure my kids (If I ever release my spawn upon the world) always wear one, however If I chose not to wear a seat belt it p*sses me off beyond belief that I would get fined for it.
/nonsensical rant over

good rant, i agree

I'm in the minority who think it should remain a choice rather than mandatory, yes I see why it is an extremely good idea to protect your head whilst riding a bike, however it doesn't effect anybody but me if I ride head first into a wall and shatter my skull (obviously I'm not including friends/families feelings or the person left to scrape up my body etc).
I think my inner rebel wakes up whenever I hear words like mandatory and compulsory. Not that I'm saying I want to get squished on a road, but I absolutely detest being told what I can and cannot do. Advice yes, information is power at the end of the day, but enforced bureaucracy on something that only relates to my own personal health/safety really infuriates me.
In a similar vein, seatbelts, yes I know they save lives etc and blah, and yes I do wear one, and I will ensure my kids (If I ever release my spawn upon the world) always wear one, however If I chose not to wear a seat belt it p*sses me off beyond belief that I would get fined for it.
/nonsensical rant over

i see what you're saying, but consider this, if i have to be first on scene, i'd rather what was left of your eggshelled head was inside a neat container, ie the helmet, than glooped out over the pavement. same goes for the seatbelt, you want to be sliced and diced on the way out through your windscreen, be my guest and ram raid a wall in a quiet back street. unfortunately, most of these incidents i get to attend, are on main roads, and the carnage is pretty horrific. so if not for yourself, think of the poor sods from the fire brigade, ambulance service and police, who have the enviable task of piecing together whats left, picking/scooping it up, and sending it on to the hospital, morgue.....

on a happier note, as a cyclist, your chances of being squished without time to even realise it are pretty damned good(y) as evidenced by the young lady, no helmet, no difference here, but ipod(y), who tried to undertake an artic on a tightish left hand bend, she wobbled, got caught on the leading edge of the tractor units rear wheels, went round once, the human body folds ever so well, spat out, collected by the three trailer wheels, and wrung out again....my collegue who was first on scene told me, when he tried to turn her over for CPR, only the top half came away from the road, great, he gets to carry that unfortunate ladies stupidity around for the rest of his life.

enforcement? perhaps avoidance would be better, there are all kinds of crappiness on the roads, drivers, riders, cars, vans, cyclists, horses (my personal hate:rolleyes:), the list is endless, but a little thought, forward planning, and prudence, and perhaps you wont have me, holding your skull together whilst a paramedic tries to stablise you

Last edited:
i dont think anything to do with safety should be mandatory. it isnt natural. people who ignore safety should be allowed to pay the price. it cleanses the gene pool.

Oddly research which I'm afraid I can't locate right now showed that car drivers give cyclists who wear helmets less of a wide berth than those without, so by wearing one you increase your chances of having to use one.

I recently read exactly the same thing, and I am sure it was in a car mag, maybe something like Auto Express who have a very small section on cycling. I think it was conducted in Holland a nation known for cycling. There studies proved that car drivers do get much closer to riders with helmets than those without making it more hazardous to the cyclist and they concluded it was inadvisable to make it mandatory to make cyclists wear one.

Therefore as a car driver and occasional cyclist I say no, I have never worn one and never intend to.

Anyway any helmet that would offer any sort of meaningful protection would be too heavy & uncomfortable to be practical on a bicycle as it would have to be similar in design to a motorbike helmet.

at moments like this i wouldnt care if i got decapitated instead .

just look where that wheel is going:eek:

344606-md.jpg

i see what you're saying, but consider this, if i have to be first on scene, i'd rather what was left of your eggshelled head was inside a neat container, ie the helmet, than glooped out over the pavement. same goes for the seatbelt, you want to be sliced and diced on the way out through your windscreen, be my guest and ram raid a wall in a quiet back street. unfortunately, most of these incidents i get to attend, are on main roads, and the carnage is pretty horrific. so if not for yourself, think of the poor sods from the fire brigade, ambulance service and police, who have the enviable task of piecing together whats left, picking/scooping it up, and sending it on to the hospital, morgue.....

Or you may be unfortunate enough to survive a nasty crash & end up spending the rest of your life in a vegetative state, having an endless stream of dodgy carers looking at your bits. Imagine the impact on your loved ones as a downstairs room of the family home is turned into a hospital style bedroom...
Wouldn't it be interesting if the state said "you chose not to wear a helmet or seatbelt, we choose not to treat you or care for you". Even if you had insurance, I doubt they'd pay for medical care as relevant safety precautions were ignored.

Last edited:
heres another side
when i cycle i drive like in the car
eg im on the road not the pavement,
red light means stop not just go over with the green man etc
so today im pulling away from the lights and approaching another set of lights where you can only go left/right
so knowing i have an evo just near my rear i let him pass before putting my hand out to show i want ot move into the right lane
i look back at the people carrier about 4 car lengths back,then recheck he's giving me room to pull out
no obviously he has sped up and blocked me from moving across :rolleyes:
then wags his finger at me :confused:
so whats this all about? ive pulled away from the lights in the only lane available,stayed to the left to allow cars past
im no slouch on the bike so im not holding cars up in the city anyway
gave a signal,checked everything was clear but get grief for some reason?
you see why some cyclists get angry ;)

today the red mist didnt come down and i didnt cut over the park bike lanes so i could catch him up
unlike the last corsa driver who cut me up,wouldnt get out of his car and somehow got a broken rear light :chin:

Last edited:
Back