Should Cyclists Be Made To Wear Helmets?

Currently reading:
Should Cyclists Be Made To Wear Helmets?

Helmets or not?

• Yeah

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 34.5%

• Total voters
I dont agree with that Hellcat. When driving how many cyclists have you seen wobbling about almost falling of there bike and drifting off course while trying to look over there shoulder or put there arm out to indicate. If they had indicators and mirrors it would be safer and clearer.

No it wouldn't. Them riders shouldn't be on the road and giving them mirrors will just confuse them. If you can't turn your head around to see then you should stop, get off the bike and then look.

Is there any rules/highway code for cyclists? As we have loads round here at the weekends and they are a nusience:mad: its well dangerous when you meet one or in most cases several on a bend, they ride in hoards but are all spread out:confused: and sometimes two abreast:confused:, it seems near impossible to overtake them safely:mad:

Highway code rules 59 - 82.
With plod being spread so thinly, I doubt any cyclist would get pulled for breach of rules.
Strange that the law requires cyclists to use lights at night yet cycles aren't sold with lights fitted!
The highway code states cyclists can ride no more than 2 abreast - although this does not apply to narrow roads.

I also believe insurance is a must for cyclists - could you afford £1000 + to repair damage to a car? Most scrapes these days seem to cost that kind of money to fix

I dont agree with that Hellcat. When driving how many cyclists have you seen wobbling about almost falling of there bike and drifting off course while trying to look over there shoulder or put there arm out to indicate. If they had indicators and mirrors it would be safer and clearer.

and how many drivers who pay tax insurance have past a test do you see weaving all over the road drifting over the centre line and fail to indicate drive with lighting defects cut you up jump red lights......

Leave us cyclists alone :p

(i use a helmet which cost about £80 more than some people spend on a bike) have decent lights (i have a HID for my push bike :D ) use a high viz vest at night/dusk and have 3rd party insurance.... dont tar us all with the same brush (y) )

and start fitting things like mirrors.... what happens when you fall off and end up impaled on them ?

Last edited:
Leave us cyclists alone :p
I cycle on the road almost every weekend, so im a cyclist too:p There are a lot of bad cyclist drivers and motorcyclist just like its been discussed in lots of other threads.

My latest experience of a stupid person bellow;
Last week I saw a cyclist riding the wrong way around a round about at night!!! He did have a helmet and very week lights. I almost crashed into him, had to swerve. When I beeped him furiously he just shaked his head and pulled a face mouthing "yeahyeahyeah"
Would you drive your car the wrong way around a round about?

and how many drivers who pay tax insurance have past a test do you see weaving all over the road drifting over the centre line and fail to indicate drive with lighting defects cut you up jump red lights......

Less than the % of cyclists I see doing it, by a huge margin...

Oddly research which I'm afraid I can't locate right now showed that car drivers give cyclists who wear helmets less of a wide berth than those without, so by wearing one you increase your chances of having to use one. I do wear one like a peaked one from Giro which is probably about as cool looking you can hope for in cycle helmets but my main reason for wearing it is liking to go whizzing down hill off road just missing large trees.

cyclists what ride in the middle of the road **** me off
same with scooter drivers who do the same

i ride on the road whare the second yellow line would be and go round the greates

I cycle on the road almost every weekend, so im a cyclist too:p There are a lot of bad cyclist drivers and motorcyclist just like its been discussed in lots of other threads.

My latest experience of a stupid person bellow;

Would you drive your car the wrong way around a round about?

sorry Adrian not aimed at you just a general comment (y)

as for driving the wrong way round a roundabout i wouldn't but have seen it happen on several occasions last one i came across driving home from work involved a head on between a Jag and a ford KA....

and Daz dont ride on the pavement you could kill someone very easily (imagine the result of you hitting an OAP who has just walked out of her gate) .

I rode to work most of the summer down a busy bypass.

i accept the fact that i should wear a helmet, but its MY friggin choice on whether i want the risk of head injuries :mad:

remember this: the fine for not wearing a helmet on a motorbike is ONLY £30 (no points) and you can get a doctors note to excuse you if you are claustrophobic (y)

oh and about roundabouts: yes, but only late at night :p

Last edited:
sorry Adrian not aimed at you just a general comment (y)

as for driving the wrong way round a roundabout i wouldn't but have seen it happen on several occasions last one i came across driving home from work involved a head on between a Jag and a ford KA....

and Daz dont ride on the pavement you could kill someone very easily (imagine the result of you hitting an OAP who has just walked out of her gate) .
:hug:Cool ;)
Shame about the jag.

i accept the fact that i should wear a helmet, but its MY friggin choice on whether i want the risk of head injuries :mad:

Not just head injuries. The two kids that came off their bikes round here both died as a result of their injuries, a helmet would have saved their lives.
My mate regrets not wearing a helmet every day of his life, from the moment a stranger hoists him out of bed, empties his catheter, installs a new one... to the moment he is hoisted onto the toilet and a complete stranger wipes his arse before changing his catheter & putting him to bed.
YOU might want to take the chance but it's US who pay the price by way of forking out for the carers.

im sorry about your mate dude.

i actually am going to get a helmet i think, but i just think making it compulsory will create more problems than it solves. For one thing, it will cost the taxpayers a fortune in implementation and administration.

its ok getting a helmet Mankul but you actually have to put it on ;)

get one that fits properly a good helmet will be much comfier to ware

try loads on as each manufacturer is slightly different in shape and feel

i cant get into most bell helmets but giro's fit me well

http://activesportskit.co.uk/produc...=2340&osCsid=8397d64f96a30c4e478e0fa91ba9bb3e

gutted i paid A LOT More than that last year

and for special occasions or suicide XC runs i have one of these

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Specialized_Deviant_Carbon_Helmet/5360028384/

i told a little white lie there. I actually have a decent one, but it was put outside into a byre years ago and ive not bothered looking for it since :eek: might look tonight!

i can see why you need one for mountain biking though - id be scared to not wear one.

Last edited:
and Daz don't ride on the pavement you could kill someone very easily (imagine the result of you hitting an OAP who has just walked out of her gate) .

the pavements i ride on to college
first
a bridge (cant cycle up it but can down)
then a small path (have to walk theres people and dogs)
then i cycle on the grass around cause its quicker

then i cross a duel carrigway whats now single :(
so takes ages and go back to road for a good while

next path i hit i pass a unused factory and a club then i hit
a massive path + there's no houses
there's 1 factory
1 pub car park
1 allotment
neither directly onto the road

and its a duel carriageway and i my slow pace uphill is dangerous (bus stops)

even worse going down
there's parked cars
iv being nearly knocked off twice going down
one a car door
one a car pulling out of a side street
then getting across is another pain

on way back home from college
there is the same 3 buildings as before and a club
kwik fit
a hospital with a long road
petrol station my most hated one to pass
and a brothel

the second path is a tunnle
and a narrow path what i can see up with no off shots
then roads

next path is by a school so i use the grass

then back to roads

Yes they should (I do) and as for insurance - I think there should be a one off fee on new bike sales which goes into an insurance pot. Saves all the hassle of tax, paperwork etc for bicycles but would help in cases where cyclists cause accidents.

aint that taring every cyclist with the same brush and saying that they should pay more een if there not gonna use it on the road

alos bike sails would fall

Last edited:
If they dont want to wear a helmet, then its their choice, even though there is a law in place. If they get knocked over etc its their own fault.

I'm in the minority who think it should remain a choice rather than mandatory, yes I see why it is an extremely good idea to protect your head whilst riding a bike, however it doesn't effect anybody but me if I ride head first into a wall and shatter my skull (obviously I'm not including friends/families feelings or the person left to scrape up my body etc).
I think my inner rebel wakes up whenever I hear words like mandatory and compulsory. Not that I'm saying I want to get squished on a road, but I absolutely detest being told what I can and cannot do. Advice yes, information is power at the end of the day, but enforced bureaucracy on something that only relates to my own personal health/safety really infuriates me.
In a similar vein, seatbelts, yes I know they save lives etc and blah, and yes I do wear one, and I will ensure my kids (If I ever release my spawn upon the world) always wear one, however If I chose not to wear a seat belt it p*sses me off beyond belief that I would get fined for it.
/nonsensical rant over

Back