Should Cyclists Be Made To Wear Helmets?

Currently reading:
Should Cyclists Be Made To Wear Helmets?

Helmets or not?

• Yeah

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 34.5%

• Total voters
Yea and they should pay insurance too...

Absolutely for public roads... I'm in to cycling (off road/mtb'in). I've seen a few near misses, bugger being hit by a car, van or anything else for that matter!! I don't see any reason why a cyclist shouldn't wear a helmet on road?! Alright, they're not the coolest things in the world but they can save ya!? (y)

then they would need number plates and have to be taxed and mot'd lol.
i don't think horses should be allowed on the road but thats another rant

Why? People have pets insured and they dont have Tax, MoT or number plates... :confused:

If they scratch my car I want them to pay for fixing it...

Why? People have pets insured and they dont have Tax, MoT or number plates... :confused:

If they scratch my car I want them to pay for fixing it...

i was meaning it would proably end up that way if they enforced insurance, how would police know a pedal bike was insured? go back to the old ways and have to pull them over?

maybe they should have optional insurance like horse riders can get

i was meaning it would proably end up that way if they enforced insurance, how would police know a pedal bike was insured? go back to the old ways and have to pull them over?

maybe they should have optional insurance like horse riders can get

Just find out when they cause damage and if they dont have insurance fine them and enforce payment for damages.

Anything cheap and sensible will do, in cities I get really pissed with cycle couriers and I have had my mirrors hit a few times and off they go over red lights and up one way streets the wrong way...
Make them pay I say... sod the Optional bit.

Last edited:
Of course they should & bikes should also be fitted with a decent horn.
Along both sides of my helmet I have "better smeg than dead" printed - in other words, I'd rather look like a tit wearing a helmet.
Locally we've had a couple of schoolkids come off their bikes & die as a result of their heads smashing against something. The headmaster watches them coming to school & bikes are confiscated if helmets aren't worn. Parents get a call to come & collect their little darling & the bikes aren't released until the helmet is on.
I had a mate in the army, a really fit guy, come off his bike & hit his head. To see him now brings tears to my eyes - he's all crippled up in a wheelchair, only got use of one hand, partial use of that arm & has had to learn to read & write again.
I also believe cyclists should have to pass a cycling proficiency test before being allowed out & buy insurance.
Bikes should come with decent lighting already fitted as well.

then they would need number plates and have to be taxed and mot'd lol.

i don't think horses should be allowed on the road but thats another rant

Nothing wrong with having serial number stamped on the frame in larger letters so it is more visible. It would also be a good idea for cyclists to pay a nominal fee for tax & display a badge. I also see nothing wrong with cyclists submitting their bikes for MOT. Half the kids I see tearing along don't even have brakes.

Starting them young, getting used to tax, MOT & insurance might lead on to them being more responsible on the roads as cyclists and eventually as drivers.

Nothing wrong with having serial number stamped on the frame in larger letters so it is more visible. It would also be a good idea for cyclists to pay a nominal fee for tax & display a badge. I also see nothing wrong with cyclists submitting their bikes for MOT. Half the kids I see tearing along don't even have brakes.

Starting them young, getting used to tax, MOT & insurance might lead on to them being more responsible on the roads as cyclists and eventually as drivers.

Might also get them used to dodging tax and arranging dodgy MOTs...

Got to agree though. My kids don't take long to trash their bikes, just a constant list of repair jobs - from simple punctures to snapped cranks... Unless it actually stops them riding the bike they just ignore it until something really breaks.

not a bad idea, still think insurance is a way off, get helmets on them first

Is there any rules/highway code for cyclists? As we have loads round here at the weekends and they are a nusience:mad: its well dangerous when you meet one or in most cases several on a bend, they ride in hoards but are all spread out:confused: and sometimes two abreast:confused:, it seems near impossible to overtake them safely:mad:

Erm. I'm all for any cyclist I could hit wearing one so they don't die but never wear one myself...

How about you lose your right for you / your family to sue for head injuries if you don't?

Erm. I'm all for any cyclist I could hit wearing one so they don't die but never wear one myself...

How about you lose your right for you / your family to sue for head injuries if you don't?

Good plan but the helmets cyclists currently wear are pretty useless in a heavy impact TBH. Road scrapes and glancing blows they are fine but head on into a wall or car windscreen (n)

I speak as a motor-biker who objected to the helmet laws but I thank god we had them.....

Last edited:
I cycle a lot to keep fit. I try to stick to canals and other of road places but in the end you have to get on the road if your going to cover any serious distance.

Yeah I think helmets should be mandatory. I also think indicators and mirrors probably should be as well.

Last week I saw a cyclist riding the wrong way around a round about at night!!! He did have a helmet and very week lights. I almost crashed into him, had to swerve. When I beeped him furiously he just shaked his head and pulled a face mouthing "yeahyeahyeah"

Is there any rules/highway code for cyclists? As we have loads round here at the weekends and they are a nusience:mad: its well dangerous when you meet one or in most cases several on a bend, they ride in hoards but are all spread out:confused: and sometimes two abreast:confused:, it seems near impossible to overtake them safely:mad:

Cyclists are allowed to ride two abreast in the highway code. All cyclists should have to war a helmet by law. Sure it won't save you from a heavy imact but they are proven to save you from typical impacts with pavements and roads. The type that can kill.

As for numberplates, tax discs, mirrors, indicators.... all not needed, otherwise you should start taxing skateboards, rollerblades... etc

Last edited:
As for numberplates, tax discs, mirrors, indicators.... all not needed, otherwise you should start taxing skateboards, rollerblades... etc

I dont agree with that Hellcat. When driving how many cyclists have you seen wobbling about almost falling of there bike and drifting off course while trying to look over there shoulder or put there arm out to indicate. If they had indicators and mirrors it would be safer and clearer.

Back