General Shock-I've sold my 500X

Currently reading:
General Shock-I've sold my 500X

TrevC

Established member
After 2 years and 12000 enjoyable miles, I've part-exed my 500X. I was intending to keep it much longer, but a change in circumstances meant that I really needed something with a bit more legroom and bigger boot. I fancied a change from an SUV type, and had fancied something a bit sportier looking. We swung into the local Hyundai dealer as we were passing to see if an i30 Fastback would be big enough.

The upshot is, I ended up buying an ex-demo 1.4 Premium, 6 months old with 3000 miles. It was about £7.5k less than full list, and they gave me 4 years interest free h.p. and 2 free services. The warranty runs for another 4.5 years, as does the roadside assistance. I got the "Honest John" part ex value, which I was happy with.

Sorry to see the Fiat go, but I'll keep looking on this forum and contributing anything I think is useful. Still in the Fiat fold with my wife's 500C!

Surprised you didn't consider another 500x.

Don't know if your aware but it's silly season again with some of the prices. I came across this a few weeks ago.

https://www.motorvillageuk.com/used/fiat/230454/

Ok, it's now a discontinued model, but give or take is 1/2 rrp.

What I don't get is if you look at 2018 and newer cars, sub 100 miles, auto, 4WD, after the 500x theres nothing under £19k. People in general are missing out on bargains with this spec of the 500x. Theres surely a market there but people dont seem to be seeing them.

I have this version with a few extras, and despite a few gremlins over the first 5k miles, I love it.

I loved my 500X, but when my wife changed her Suzuki S-Cross for a 500C last summer, my car became the main family vehicle. With just 2 of us it would have been fine, but we childmind 2 young grandchildren 3 days a week, and when we go out with them I found the car uncomfortable to drive with enough room for a baby seat behind me. The Hyundai has about 2 inches more rear legroom (I measured it carefully before I bought it) which makes all the difference. The boot in the Hyundai is bigger too, which will be useful at holiday time - we holiday in the UK and take another family member.

So, it was just a matter of space, not dissatisfaction with the car. The other bonus is the Hyundai dealer is less than 5 miles away. It was a 20 mile trip to get to a Fiat dealer.

I loved my 500X, but when my wife changed her Suzuki S-Cross for a 500C last summer, my car became the main family vehicle. With just 2 of us it would have been fine, but we childmind 2 young grandchildren 3 days a week, and when we go out with them I found the car uncomfortable to drive with enough room for a baby seat behind me. The Hyundai has about 2 inches more rear legroom (I measured it carefully before I bought it) which makes all the difference. The boot in the Hyundai is bigger too, which will be useful at holiday time - we holiday in the UK and take another family member.

So, it was just a matter of space, not dissatisfaction with the car. The other bonus is the Hyundai dealer is less than 5 miles away. It was a 20 mile trip to get to a Fiat dealer.

I can kinda see where your coming from with this. We have a 5 year old in a stage 0-1 car seat behind the driver, its bulked up a lot, both underneath and at the back and her legs are close to the drivers seat when she sits down. Hopefully when we change to a bigger seat, stage 2-3 soon, this bulking out will be reduced and there'll be more room for her legs. The passenger side is fine.

I pondered why the legroom was poor on the drivers side, and think its because the foot pedals are a bit too far back, making me have to put the seat back further than I need to, and also because I need to put the seat low, not just because I prefer it but also because I find the blacked out surround around the rear view mirror is too big and obstructs my view somewhat.

I hope you like your new car, and the kids don't complain too much that due to the non elevated position that they cant see outside as well as before.

I found the rear legroom for adults in the 500X ok. There is quite a lot of space in the rear footwell for people to stretch their legs under the front seats, and unlike you I had the driver's seat quite high, so that made it even better. The critical dimension for me was the distance between the rear seat back and the rear face of the front seat back. One of our baby seats has a bar/carry handle that is positioned above the child's feet, and that has to be clear of the front seat, which is what restricts front legroom. The extra 2" in the i30 makes it comfortable.
Yes, the view in the back of the i30 isn't as good. Only comment so far has been from the 23 month old grandson as I loaded him in: "Grandad - new car - lovely!" Priceless!

Yes that's right. Raising the front seats makes the legroom better. On the passenger side we never have any problems at all. What I do like about the 500x is the doors open wide which helps, and the fact that the seats are quite high with it being an SUV. It's a lot easier inserting small children into something higher rather than a conventional car. Now that my little un's 5 I open the door and get her to climb in herself.

I'm glad the 23 month old likes it, new cars are always good, if for nothing more than the smell. Ours still smelt new until a few months ago which I liked.

Back