Styling shiny chrome stuff - where to source!

Currently reading:
Styling shiny chrome stuff - where to source!

emmyd

Hi folks

My lovely 2013 500c had a worn out plastic "chrome" moulding strip running along the bottom of the boot/trunk/tailgate (see example photo). It looked quite lovely apart from the fact it was rotting and needed to be removed.

I thought it would be an easy thing to replace but not sure where to source. Anyone got any experience with this?

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 1.09.25 pm.png

I thought I had every possible bit of chrome on mine but that's one I missed! Found a similar one at;
Hi folks

My lovely 2013 500c had a worn out plastic "chrome" moulding strip running along the bottom of the boot/trunk/tailgate (see example photo). It looked quite lovely apart from the fact it was rotting and needed to be removed.

I thought it would be an easy thing to replace but not sure where to source. Anyone got any experience with this?
I thought I had every possible bit of chrome on mine but that's one I missed! Found a similar one at;

Hi folks

Looks like an aftermarket add-on to me.

I’ve got both aftermarket trims on my tailgate… went a bit over the top but I’m happy with em! Speaking of chrome I’ve been playing with my nasty plastic door cards 😂

Attachments

• FB2AE83E-D667-40BB-8B7E-B45127BDE465.jpeg
    FB2AE83E-D667-40BB-8B7E-B45127BDE465.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
  • 104BFE43-7317-4028-A4B5-FB9F316FDB72.jpeg
    104BFE43-7317-4028-A4B5-FB9F316FDB72.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
I’ve got both aftermarket trims on my tailgate… went a bit over the top but I’m happy with em! Speaking of chrome I’ve been playing with my nasty plastic door cards 😂
Neat! What did you do that with? I've always wanted something to offset the dull grey on mine. I see you've got the speaker rings too(y). How do you mean, 'both' tailgate trims?

My order is well on it's way (from Indonesia - that'll be a first) so I'm definitely going to get the side door trims as well.

i partially wrapped the cards in faux alcantara it’s like fake suede feels like suede and velvet
It’s not easy either it too 3 tries 😂 but it paid off in the end! Then glued in self adhesive chrome trim into that groove that curves around
Also added more soundproofing behind!

My plastic is all black like the sport but it was scratched on the cards due to the seatbelt friction
The tail chrome I got the top one on eBay from Romania it’s very good quality and the bottom bumper one is to protect the bumper from stuff coming and going in boot

Attachments

• A4298FC4-784A-4404-B6E8-EE853006F338.jpeg
    A4298FC4-784A-4404-B6E8-EE853006F338.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
i partially wrapped the cards in faux alcantara it’s like fake suede feels like suede and velvet
It’s not easy either it too 3 tries 😂 but it paid off in the end! Then glued in self adhesive chrome trim into that groove that curves around
Also added more soundproofing behind!

My plastic is all black like the sport but it was scratched on the cards due to the seatbelt friction
The tail chrome I got the top one on eBay from Romania it’s very good quality and the bottom bumper one is to protect the bumper from stuff coming and going in boot
Well done - the doors look really good.(y) I wouldn't do the alcantara effect (I'd have to cover all the grey!) but the chrome inset is interesting. The tailgate trim looks nice too - very similar to the one I put on the boss's new Mazda but that came from China - along with sill, mirror, dash, grille and even steering wheel trims. Her hitherto plain black CX-3 looks really upmarket!

I looked at those boot lip protectors but I wanted something that went full width so I settled for the silver one (from Japan). I like the way it sort of ties the taillights together.

A final fun touch was added to the pillar and dashboard badges - well..., it is a limited edition "Twinair".:giggle:

Attachments

• MJH04792.jpg
    MJH04792.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 32
  • MJH04799.jpg
    MJH04799.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 37
I love that tailgate trim! Wish I’d seen that before I got this one 😂 those badges are really nice too

Yeah I have to watch myself or I can get carried away and the last thing I want is for the car to look tacky!
Way too much plastic on the interior don’t you think
I am enjoying customising my interior though it has to be right or I won’t be happy! I kind of wish when Gucci collaborated they went a bit further 😂 so I didn’t have to!
My interior was half lounge & half sport just with the Gucci touches I’m trying to find a black headliner now😂 but for mine with the opening sunroof… and they are thin on the ground 😩

I love that tailgate trim! Wish I’d seen that before I got this one 😂 those badges are really nice too

Yeah I have to watch myself or I can get carried away and the last thing I want is for the car to look tacky!
Way too much plastic on the interior don’t you think
I am enjoying customising my interior though it has to be right or I won’t be happy! I kind of wish when Gucci collaborated they went a bit further 😂 so I didn’t have to!
My interior was half lounge & half sport just with the Gucci touches I’m trying to find a black headliner now😂 but for mine with the opening sunroof… and they are thin on the ground 😩
Yeah, it's easy to go over the top. I've purchased one or two things over the years that I subsequently never used because they'd be a bridge too far.

In 2013 I originally looked at buying a 500 Sport but was put off by the oppressive black interior, especially the roof lining. When they showed me the Twinair with its red leather, light roof-liner and ivory accents I was hooked - bright and airy (very airy with the roof down...:cool:). I imagine a sun-roof would alleviate the darkness somewhat.

I was looking at these;
Nice with the black but I don't think they'd work with the ivory.

Yeah I’ve seen those I may have to indulge!
I actually love the black I suppose each to their own but removing the head lining make me nervous.. and I’ve had the whole dashboard out🤔
When I went to see my car originally they had the black version it was very chic but didn’t have the opening sunroof and I didn’t like the white on the seats
Another reason I love the 500 parts are easy to swap! Making customisation easy!

I had black interior in my Mini, I believe I even paid extra for that, and loved it every minute in the 8 years we owned the car. But as always that is a matter of personal taste. Maybe I still got some caveman genes 🤓

I had black interior in my Mini, I believe I even paid extra for that, and loved it every minute in the 8 years we owned the car. But as always that is a matter of personal taste. Maybe I still got some caveman genes 🤓
Even I would prefer black to the all-too-common nondescript grey of most cars these days. In summer here though, especially if the car's left outside, it can get awful hot...

we seem to be warming up in the UK too this last summer was almost unbearable 😂 (not as hot as your end I guess) 😂 now that will be a test for my interior wrapping … I bet it peels when we get 30c again!

we seem to be warming up in the UK too this last summer was almost unbearable 😂 (not as hot as your end I guess) 😂 now that will be a test for my interior wrapping … I bet it peels when we get 30c again!
Highest it's been here was in 2009 when we got a 47C day; 40+ is becoming more common but such peaks are, for now, rare. The Twinair's not happy in the upper 30's, often splutters on take-off and needs a firm boot to overcome it. Back in the 70's, with vinyl seats and no aircon, was worse though - I literally burned my hands on the steering wheel of a Ford Falcon that'd been sitting in the arvo sun.

Do you have your windows tinted?

Got that 'chrome' trim for the boot lid today. It's closer in appearance to stainless but looks OK. It's just a metre length of flexible moulding and you have to cut it to length and trim the ends to suit the application. I wouldn't recommend it; far too expensive for what it is (even with a free set of alloy valve caps!).

Last edited:
Yeah I’m not very good at having to cut stuff to size! Getting measurements right is not a strength I possess 😂
Yes windows tinted though the front is the “legal” tint” still quite light but it did make a difference
I suppose it may help that my Gucci is white and not black
I guess your used to the temp I would seriously struggle!!
Replaced my sunroof panel today…. Was a tad harder than I thought 😂 I really hope I won’t have to do it again!!

I operate with a hybrid imperial/metric system; I think in inches but measure in mm. Sometimes I even get it right.:giggle:

I'm not used to the temp, I'm still a pom! A white car makes a huge difference though.

Well done on the sunroof - I wouldn't have the nerve...

Back