General She's dead !

Currently reading:
General She's dead !

But lucky it's not terminal :D
Wouldn't start last wednesday, tried everything and couldn't get her going. Was told it may be the cam phase sensor, which detects which position the cam is in, when starting the engine. If the sensor is broke then the ECU won't supply the engine with a spark nor supply fuel to the engine.
So I managed to blag a code reader, and this flashed up:

PICT0004.jpg

So, how much is it to replace the sensor? £460 :eek: :rolleyes:
Well not true you can get it done for £300 but you actually have to take the cambelt off to get to it, so it would be stupid whilst he's there not to change the cam and all aux belts.
Coops aren't cheap, but then we all know that :p I'm just gutted that I'll now miss the annual prestatyn car show, we had a record 10 north wales coupe's turning up to this relatively small event, and mine should have been one. Anyone got a trailer :p
However, every cloud has a silver lining. I'm not going to stop there. I'm going to make her faster :devil: and make her look more sexy :slayer:
Watch this space... :)

na thats a rip off, the guy on FCCUK you bought those clips from REX he just pulled that sensor off of the head i was going to buy, see if he will sell it to you, you dont actually have to remove the cam pully! just has to be undone and pulled out a little (i think thats what he did).

bulldog5046 said:
na thats a rip off, the guy on FCCUK you bought those clips from REX he just pulled that sensor off of the head i was going to buy, see if he will sell it to you, you dont actually have to remove the cam pully! just has to be undone and pulled out a little (i think thats what he did).

You can't just pull it off the head, are you sure you don't mean the connector round the back of the rocker cover? It's not a "rip off", that's how much you pay at the likes of Motormech, Powerfiat etc. I've rang numerous garages. Fiat would charge you £800+ ;)

pinin__prestatyn said:
You can't just pull it off the head, are you sure you don't mean the connector round the back of the rocker cover? It's not a "rip off", that's how much you pay at the likes of Motormech, Powerfiat etc. I've rang numerous garages. Fiat would charge you £800+ ;)

erm.... i'll go look up the bit i was on about then you can tell me if its the same thing ;)

EDIT: this thing right?

timing_sensor.JPG

Last edited:
bulldog5046 said:
...you dont actually have to remove the cam pully! just has to be undone and pulled out a little (i think thats what he did).
But surely you can't even get the cam cover off on the Coupe? There's only about 1cm gap. Besides, I'm sure it's due for a cambelt change anyway ;)
And Matt, you might as well have it done at the same time as the roller bearing turbo, FMIC, EBC etc... :p
H

well i spose if the cambelt change is included for £300 thats a bargin (y)

H - yeah actually i forgot on the coupe you cant remove the cover, either that or no one has tried fixitagaintomorrow's way or highering and lowering the engine(y)

Right, Bulldog I think you have the right sensor, there is an engine RPM sensor around that area which may be the diagram but it's the same ballpark. It costs £250-£300 for the cam phase sensor to be changed by someone that knows what they are doing.
However I am paying £435 for the sensor to be replaced, and a new cambelt plus all other belts and water pump to be replaced. Capice :D
And I'm also having the hybrid turbo's seals reconditioned and having a Scorpion Stainless system fitted to really open up the sound (y)

pinin__prestatyn said:
Right, Bulldog I think you have the right sensor, there is an engine RPM sensor around that area which may be the diagram but it's the same ballpark. It costs £250-£300 for the cam phase sensor to be changed by someone that knows what they are doing.
However I am paying £435 for the sensor to be replaced, and a new cambelt plus all other belts and water pump to be replaced. Capice :D
And I'm also having the hybrid turbo's seals reconditioned and having a Scorpion Stainless system fitted to really open up the sound (y)

sounds like you got a pretty good deal then (y)

Hey it's normal routine for a coupe right Sammi :D made me laugh when H took his coupe took his car to a meet with a full toolkit in boot and litres of coolant! now that's coupe paranoia, and he was right to be afraid too :D
I'll have her on the road again in a few months looking and going better than she ever was :cool:

pinin__prestatyn said:
Yeah I'd say so, the more technical stuff they stick on to cars, the more to go wrong :p I never had any of this trouble with my merc 190 with 270K on the clock :D

uhhh but my engine is the same as your engine, a merc 190 is a lot simpler then the dreaded 16VT:p

I just think mine is more comfortable and was definitetly cheaper then a coupe:cool:

smoo said:
no one buys a coupe to be cheap and comfy, and if they do, then they are very much mistaken!!! :D or stupid??:confused:

well i didn't buy mine for that either...it's the ultimate sleeper though:p
1.8bar with a GT32/GT40 hybrid comes "theoretically" to just under 600bhp...coupled to a tranny ripped out of a 164 Q4...you get the picture;)

Back