sheffield - where to live, where not to live

Currently reading:
sheffield - where to live, where not to live

arc

this is where i stand
sooooo girlfriend got a call from uni, and there is now a place for her. Starts in erm.. a week and half.. bit short notice to quit jobs and move.. but we're off.

looking on rightmove.co.uk on what kind of places we can afford to live in. (circa £500 pcm), plenty of modern city centre 1 or 2 bed appartments that look good. not looking for 'student' accomodation, not interested in halls or house shares etc.

i've never been to sheffield, i don't know it all. what areas should we avoid, where should we not avoid, and why?

also, anyone gimme a job?

Any of the new city centre blocks are ok. Avoid Park hill/ Manor. Apartments off the back of west street are nice and close to everything. You should be able to get a good deal as they have built thousands of the things over the past few years so you wont have any trouble finding somewhere to live.

Avoid anything anywhere the tram lines and football grounds! The trams will make your house shake everytime they go passed!

I lived near Sheff United for two years - whatta mistake to make! the police used to mount up outside my house, which meant all the horse muck would get piled into a four foot high mound in the road - then about a week later the council would clear it up :(

Not to mention the helicopters hovering above for hours on end before and after a match.

Then there's the football yobs who **** through your letterbox, walk through your garden, throw beer cans at your house, scream and shout how much they hate students (even though I was working full time :rolleyes:) etc etc!

City Road / The manor are fairly rough - but if you know the right (wrong) people it can be a good place to live.

Norfolk park area is nice, but you get the scum from park hill / the various rehab places which seem to like smashing car windows and stealing anything that isn't bolted down.

I lived in the healy / meersbrook area for 4 years - nice enough but again if it isn't bolted down it'll go missing.

I miss sheffield :cry: for all it's bad points there isn't a day that goes by without me wishing I'd stayed there :cry::cry:

Lived in Sheffield all my life (till last year) and now were moving back to Sheffield soon :D

If you want city center living any of the apartments are quite nice. I prefer the ones near Kelham Island are very nice. Its a nice area during the day but can be a bit hairy in the evening but most apartment blaocks ahve shops and cafe in the square they are built in. One of the blocks even had a swimming pool!!!! £500 p/m will get you a 1 bed furnished apartment a bit more will get you a 2 bed or remove the furnature you will get a nice 2 bed for your budget. Be careful about parking some come with, some you have to pay for and some you dont get at all.

If your wanting more of a house and community feel, Crooks is a nice area. There are a few Sheff Uni students around there but popular with first time buyer/ young professionals area. Got a good night out and doesnt take long to get to the University.

It all depends on how far from the city center you want to live and type of environment you want. Id personally avoid the Manor Park hill arbourthorne, wybourn, gleedless, firvale/firthpark and Abbeydale road (y)

If you dont mind been a bit further out Wisewood Stannington Greenhill, Bradway, Dore, and Totley as well as Crooks and Walkley are nice areas to live. Have a look on www.sheffieldforum.co.uk they have had some thread on there about areas to live/ places to rent (y)

thanks for the advice people :)

will checkout that forum. are all these areas officially named, so i'd be able to cross reference a property with a map to check what area it is in.

for example, what area is this in?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...=400&maxPrice=500&radius=3.0&retirement=false

Id say Kelham Island area/ city center/ shalesmoor. We actually looked at moving into them before we found a house through a family member on the edge of sheffield. They are surrounded by loads of private flats and Sheffield uni halls

Kelham Island starts basically at the bottom of that road where Penistone Road meets. TBH its actually Netherthorpe/ Shalesmoor but most of those flats are classed as part of the Kelham Island apartment compexs. Only downside to them is that they tramlines arent that far away so it would be best to visit them.

have to agree with Ms +1. Kelham Island area is ok. And it has its own brewery :slayer: Some very very nice real ales come out of there :yum:

in fact any of those new apartments round Kelham/Corporation Street are quite nice - especially now all that industrial crap has been flattened.

Why live in Sheffield?

why not commute from just outside? Rotherhams not far away, neither is the M1 and all the other road links if you want to look further affield

Still a PITA and why not live there if there is enough supply? Getting into sheff at rushhour is a pain and the same getting out. Being a student aswell im guessing there isnt gonna be loads of moolah to spend on transport.

my reason is lazyness
cost may come into it thi as well apple

i wasnt talking to you on this occasion more arc and his g/f :p

it only takes my stepdad 25 mins to get to sheff from pontefract (providing there are no holdups) and that includes going down the M1 and the parkway

are you buying?
if so you can probably get money knocked off it a factory was their before we have found plenty of things in our garden (not a right lot tho)

not buying.

Why live in Sheffield?

why not commute from just outside? Rotherhams not far away, neither is the M1 and all the other road links if you want to look further affield

she doesn't drive, and, really, why not live in Sheffield!

Back