General She Lives*****( Tipo Pain)

Currently reading:
General She Lives*****( Tipo Pain)

410C

New member
Joined
Jan 2, 2006
Messages
25
Location
stourbridge,west midlands
after much messing and changing of parts she now starts like a good un.
it turned out to be the conector on the small red wire which joins at the bottom of the solenoid. it looked as though it was in good nick but iwhen i took it off and looked at it with the aid of a proper light it was barley making contact. a new conector and a clean up and all is now ok apart from the auto choke not switching off hence the high fuel consumption.i have given up trying to get a reply from midland fiat so would be grate full if anyone out there nows which parts actually control the auto choke. thanks to all who advised me on the starting problems especially "SUMPLUG" man you should be a mechanic. cheers all.:worship:
 

sumplug

New member
Joined
Apr 19, 2005
Messages
3,244
Location
sunny Spain
410C said:
after much messing and changing of parts she now starts like a good un.
it turned out to be the conector on the small red wire which joins at the bottom of the solenoid. it looked as though it was in good nick but iwhen i took it off and looked at it with the aid of a proper light it was barley making contact. a new conector and a clean up and all is now ok apart from the auto choke not switching off hence the high fuel consumption.i have given up trying to get a reply from midland fiat so would be grate full if anyone out there nows which parts actually control the auto choke. thanks to all who advised me on the starting problems especially "SUMPLUG" man you should be a mechanic. cheers all.:worship:
glad it started:) :)
choke on all the time is proberly the stepper motor. could also be the coolant temp sensor laying up.
the stepper motor controls idle etc. when ignition is switched it moves and set it self. i think it is faulty. it needs looking at. could be other things, so get a diagnostic pronto.
if you are in the midlands, also talk to paul at motormech. he is a fiat independant. should be able to sort you out.:)
 
Joined
Dec 29, 2005
Messages
274
Nope sorry nothing, just checked both, o have an email (well a few) to say my box was full! Sorry.

Hadnt been on for a week or so.

You all sorted now????

P.S im maybe not the best person for work on anything pre 94, although ill tackle anything my experience is less than most, but im honest to say so! Last time i touched a Tipo was to take an engine out a sedici for my coupe. 2 years back.
 
OP
OP
410C

410C

New member
Joined
Jan 2, 2006
Messages
25
Location
stourbridge,west midlands
midland fiat said:
Nope sorry nothing, just checked both, o have an email (well a few) to say my box was full! Sorry.

Hadnt been on for a week or so.

You all sorted now????

P.S im maybe not the best person for work on anything pre 94, although ill tackle anything my experience is less than most, but im honest to say so! Last time i touched a Tipo was to take an engine out a sedici for my coupe. 2 years back.
to explain. the car was brought with me knowing that it had not been touched for a couple of years and i thought that new plugs,dizzy cap rotor leads, plugs and oil would sort it out. and to be fair the car is 100% better than it was .the problem is that i have been spoilt over the years and i cannot accept that a 1.4 engine can under perform like this or use the amount of petrol that it is. i think that it has a problem with the auto choke, tappets or timing. sometimes the choke switches off and sometimes it doesnt. ? i cannot seem to find people in this area who know what they are looking at when it comes to older fiats. i dont expect it to run like one of mine but i would like someone to make it as good as it can be bearing in mind its age and condition. i am not convinced that spending money on it is the best solution but my oter half loves it and i really need someone who understands tipos to tell me whether it is worth bothering with !!!!!
 

sumplug

New member
Joined
Apr 19, 2005
Messages
3,244
Location
sunny Spain
410C said:
to explain. the car was brought with me knowing that it had not been touched for a couple of years and i thought that new plugs,dizzy cap rotor leads, plugs and oil would sort it out. and to be fair the car is 100% better than it was .the problem is that i have been spoilt over the years and i cannot accept that a 1.4 engine can under perform like this or use the amount of petrol that it is. i think that it has a problem with the auto choke, tappets or timing. sometimes the choke switches off and sometimes it doesnt. ? i cannot seem to find people in this area who know what they are looking at when it comes to older fiats. i dont expect it to run like one of mine but i would like someone to make it as good as it can be bearing in mind its age and condition. i am not convinced that spending money on it is the best solution but my oter half loves it and i really need someone who understands tipos to tell me whether it is worth bothering with !!!!!
try paul at motormech
http://www.motor-mech.co.uk/workshop.html
 
OP
OP
410C

410C

New member
Joined
Jan 2, 2006
Messages
25
Location
stourbridge,west midlands
cheers. i have a good idea where this place is and i will give him a call on monday. worth the trip if only to have a proper look at the sexey lady in the pics.:) :) :)
 
OP
OP
410C

410C

New member
Joined
Jan 2, 2006
Messages
25
Location
stourbridge,west midlands
410C said:
cheers. i have a good idea where this place is and i will give him a call on monday. worth the trip if only to have a proper look at the sexey lady in the pics.:) :) :)


-you could not resist having a look could you?????
having trouble finding the time to get over to the garage so thought about it logically and fitted a new thermostat. it was jammed open and the engine was never getting warm enough for the auto choke to switch off . !!!!. you live and learn:) :) :) :) :) :)
 
Top