General Shattered door window

Currently reading:
General Shattered door window

GeraldHales

Drivers side door window - Fiat Ducato x244 2006 2.3 Diesel – The garden strimming was all going well then I noticed the shattered door window... Opps. Removed all the panels etc from inside the door and had a good clean up, its surprising what a mess shatter glass can make and its not such a big window. I might be able to get a replacement glass from our local scrap dealer, but I am not sure how to get the glass back into the door frame. I have looked on line and there are many videos showing how its done for cars, where the window can be rotated and slid in, but not sure this would work with the Ducato as the window is almost oblong. So wondering if anyone here knows how it is done. It might be that I removed the window door rubber / guide, remove the up down motor, that comes out quite easily, then lower the glass into the door to the bottom, re fit the door window rubber, then push the glass upwards and tape in place, re fit the motor and slide, clip the glass into place and that's it almost done. But maybe there is a better way? Cheers Gerald.

Sorry for your misfortune....if it had happened to me I would be looking to trying to get it done via the Autoglass & insurance excess payment route just to avoid the hassle of fitting.....as you were going to buy the glass yourself this cost is a notational deduction from the excess

I think that the attached file from eLearn may help.

About 3 years ago, I had my RHS mirror and quarterlight destroyed by a speeding SUV, which did not stop. Glass everywhere, had to curtail holiday & return home. Replaced mirror with new non OEM, and used quarterlight. Cost was about half of the excess on my insurance.

Attachments

• Front Window Replacement.pdf
    212.7 KB · Views: 92
Many thanks for the info, my door is slightly different but I think the same method will work, my local scrap yard was closed, so I will try Autoparts or the local window repair shop from Monday, failing that I will try the yard again.
Door all ready for the new glass, cling film till then, very noisy in the wind above 30mph. Cheers Gerald

Tyring to upload a photo of my door.

Attachments

• IMG_20210718_102514.jpg
    IMG_20210718_102514.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 51
Don't take this as gospel , but i seem to recall you have to remove the quarter light first . Many older cars were fitted with quarter lights , and i'm pretty sure this was the sequence for repair .
Now i will also add , i've never had to replace a side window with a quarter light , but i did repair a neighbours full window when it disappeared into the door on a Micra . The window fixing failed , and i glued it with , wait for it , no nails !
I told the neighbour it was only a temp fix , but it lasted 18 months . She wrote the car off before the repair failed .

Hi Gerald I am trying to replace the shattered drivers window on my 1997 fiat ducato motorhome. I have glass from a scrapyard but it doesnt seem to want to go in It might be the wrong glass as it seems to be too long). I have taken out the winder, and the window runner on the right hand side (the one on the left hand side is permantly fixed to the door), but I still cant get it in either going upwards from below the window or from trying to maneover the glass through the open winow space . How did you eventually get yours in??
I note above about taking the quarter light out, however, the frame between the quarter light and the drivers window is again part of the door and cannot be removed, so removing the quarterlight glass wouldnt help. My door looks exactly like yours in the photo except mine is a manual winder.
thanks

Back