Servicing Costs

Currently reading:
Servicing Costs

R

Rob Glew

Hi Everyone
Two questions
1. My Bravo 115 HLX is due for first 12 month service. I have been quoted by my Fiat Dealer £135 UKP all in. This service takes less than 1hour and only includes a change of oil and filter.
Is this the going rate for the service in the UK?2. Is the Fiat extended warrant worth buying? or is there a better alternative? Air con cover must be included.
Thanks
Rob

MY N Reg HLX had its 36K service a couple of months ago. That was just over £200. Customer service was absolutely diabolical. (Edwards of Epsom) I asked them to look at some problem that the car had- they could not find them. They did not fill out the service history log book (only found out after I drove away and though I'll just check), And because I'm a tight B**tard I filled up all the washer bottle etc so that I'd get new ones/ and or they would not charge me for that.- They DID charge me and didn't give me a full replaced. They didn't check at that it was needed at all, just charged. When I complained they said that this was a 'standard charge'- I wonder what esle was a 'standard charge' that I was not aware of and was not needed?

Thanks Paul

Thanks for the input Paul. I nearly bought my car at Edwards but was so unimpressed with their arogant attitude I bought it at Streeters in Catford instead.
I phoned Streeters about the service and was told that the oil and filter was £40 UKP the labour was £59 UKP and the balance was for using the diagnostic machine. What a load of bullshit!!!
I cancelled the service and they did not seem bothered. I took my car to Aston Garage in Farnborough kent. They charged a total of £75 UKP all in. They were Fiat main dealers for over 30 years until Fiat revoked all dealerships in preference to bigger garages. They did a great job and I will be using them in future
Rob

A message to dealers

There seems to be a consistent message in this forum about Fiat dealers (backed up by input from reports such as JD Power) and various personal experiences. I wonder if any Fiat staff take a proactive approach in finding out about customer opinion about their dealers and sorting things out. If so, FIAT- SORT OUT YOUR SHODDY DEALERS OR I'LL TAKE MY MONEY ELSEWHERE!

Not all.....so far

I bought my Bravo from Mervyn Stewart in Belfast who are a Fiat/Alfa dealer. So far their service has been brilliant. They replaced the clutch when I bought it so it would drive like new and they fitted a new aerial after a run in with a carwash and only charged me for parts not labour. On top of that, they rang an insurer on my behalf and got 30% knocked off the quote and when some idiot stamped on my exhaust (no covered by warranty) and snapped the bracket they pointed me in the direction of a bodyshop which welded it at a discount. About customer input, they send out an anonymous questionnaire where you can name unhelpful employees (or helpful ones). My Bravo's going for a service soon so hopefully that will continue my experience

It's a shame they're on the other side of the Irish Sea!

Do not take out Fiat's extended warrenty

I suggest, if you are thinking of getting warrenty cover that you do not go with Fiat own. I suggest you go with Warrenty Direct. They are cheeper and you can take your car to any u.k vat registered garage (and that includes Fiat dealers if ou want. I have taken an extra two years with warrenty direct, and it starts when my car's Fiat's one year runs out in July 2000. So its goodby to the arguments and poor workmanship from my local Fiat dealer!

Fiat in Harlow

Anyone got any experience with the Fiat garage in Harlow (Edinburgh Way)? They don't seem too bad to me, but not very good either!

Agree totally...

when I got my Bravo serviced for the first, It was just an oil change and check up....
They changed the oil, but didn't change the oil filter (charged me for it though )... (long story sorting that out)

The next dealer I had the Car serviced at, had the same lark about the water bottle (even though it was full) no run through anything about the car after servicing, just, "here's you keys, £120.00 please".
Ask any questions they just didn't want to know..
Filling out the log book was my Idea, I'm surprised the don't charge for it.

The whole fiat Customer service deal is what's going to kill a great car. It makes the Service section in the Bravo owners manual, read like a fairy tale!

Pat.

Agree totally...

when I got my Bravo serviced for the first, It was just an oil change and check up....
They changed the oil, but didn't change the oil filter (charged me for it though )... (long story sorting that out)

The next dealer I had the Car serviced at, had the same lark about the water bottle (even though it was full) no run through anything about the car after servicing, just, "here's you keys, £120.00 please".
Ask any questions they just didn't want to know..
Filling out the log book was my Idea, I'm surprised the don't charge for it.

Pat

The whole fiat Customer service deal is what's going to kill a great car. It makes the Service section in the Bravo owners manual, read like a fairy tale!

Pat.

Warranty Direct

I am in the same position as you - my one year Fiat warranty also expires in July and I want to extend with non-Fiat cover. My two nearest Fiat dealerships are Harlow where I bought the car and have had a running battle with for satisfaction ever since, and Colchester who were not much better. The usual tale of incompetence and indifference.

How did you choose Warranty Direct - was it by personal recommendation? Their rates of cover are comparable to Fiat, not too bad if they live up to their promises. The website quote was £195 for 1 year Platinum cover £370 for 2 years. They do not appear to take the model into account.

BASTARDS

other words to use with 'bastards' when describing Fiat at harlow:

incompetent
lying
slimy
threatening
useless
offensive
slow

I could go on but you get the general idea

They are not all bad

I have mentioned this in response to a different problem but I may as well say it again.I bought two Bravo's from Reg Vardy Motorzone and the service couldn't be better.

Their prices are very reasonable when compared with other Fiat dealers in my area,they do a decent job and all of the staff have been very friendly and helpful.I cannot say enough good things about them and would recommend them to anyone (not just Fiat owners - they are not all Fiat dealerships)