Technical Servicing 1.4 T-Jet

Currently reading:
Technical Servicing 1.4 T-Jet

Hi,

Car is slowly coming up to 20,000 miles. I bought the car at 16k having just had a "service" at Arnold Clarke however, I have no documentation so I don't know what was done/ what wasn't done.

I have always done my own servicing on all of my 8 previous cars because I believe I do a slower/ more thorough job on my car than a mechanic would - simply because it's my car. I would like to carry this on with my own car but I'm just looking for advice..

On my diesels, I used to change the oil every 6 months or roughly 5-6k. This might seem like an overkill but it's what I've always done and I feel happier in regards to the turbo and engine that it has regular fresh oil.

Is this an overkill on a 1,4 T-Jet? Recommended (in an ideal world) interval for an oil change?

As it's nearly 5 years old (2009 car) should I be considering a cambelt? Booklet says 5 years so it's technically due but with such low mileage it seems unnecessary.

My service booklet has all of the relevant stamps (all Arnold Clarke) but no documentation to prove what exactly was done/ replaced etc.

When should I consider new spark plugs?

What would you do to best preserve and keep the engine running at it's best?

Thanks for reading :)

The manual states oil change for every 30.000 km or 2 years.
Timing belt at 120.000 km or 5 years (or 4 years under heavy duty applications, cold weather, town use). Here in Denmark they advise every 4 years.
I would change the timing belt now (and then follow the guidelines) and then change oil every 30.000 km or at least once a year.
And change spark plugs when You change oil.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice :)

So I'm looking at a hefty bill to keep it all in good shape!

Do petrols go longer without an oil change than diesels then?

Cheers

And an even heftier bill when the belt fails because it hasn't been done?

Each engine is different and requires servicing as per the manufactures guide lines. Modern engines with modern oils seem to have longer service windows.

Thanks again lads :)

I understand the service schedule is in the manual but when cars are low mileage but also 5 years old, like mine, it can throw a few things up in the air.

I'm currently at 18,500 ish and I think this is probably the way I want to go forward - any thoughts more than welcome! :D

• Oil and Filter
  • Air filter (K&N / BMC Replacement??)
  • Iridium Plugs
  • Cambelt, tensioner and waterpump

• Oil and Filter
  • Check/ Clean or Replace Air filter

• Oil and Filter
  • Check/ Clean or Replace Air Filter
  • Iridium Plugs

Does that sound like a good base to work with?

Get the aux belt changed whilst your having the cam belt done. Our bravo is a simular age to yours and we only brought this recently with low mileage also. When we had the cam/aux belt changed both rubbers showed signs of perishing :-(

Also add a pollen filter to your list every couple of years, ours need changing and the system a good hoover out. If your also going for a BNC panel filter, consider the BOV mod also.

I also change our drop links and brake fluid every couple of years and completely strip the brakes down every year for a clean and replace pads, etc if needed.

Then all the usual checks, adjust handbrake, etc :)

Last edited:
Get the aux belt changed whilst your having the cam belt done. Our bravo is a simular age to yours brought and we only recently bought it with low mileage also. When we had the cam/aux belt changed both rubbers showed signs of perishing.

Also add a pollen filter to you list every couple of years, our need changing and the system a good hoover out. If you also going for a BNC panel filter, consider the BOV mod also.

I also changed our drop links every and brake fluid every couple of years and completely strip the brakes down every year for a clean and replace pads, etc if needed.

Sounds like a well looked after car! Tell me more about this BOV mod??

Sounds like a well looked after car! Tell me more about this BOV mod??

Yes that's just the tip of the ice berg, I personally only use the correct grade of selenia oil and change it every 5-6k. It's good for the turbo. I'm very picky with my cars and like to do alot of the work myself also :)

Have a look on YouTube or search the forum. It's a little filter mounted after the standard dump valve, that essential dumps some of the oil vapours, etc to atmosphere instead of being recirculated into the air intake.

If you look at post #7 in this link it'll show you the correct setup, there are better threads but I can't find them whilst browsing on my phone at the minute :)

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-mito/516594-alfa-mito-dump-valve.html

Edit: here's a much better link that explains all: http://www.abarthforum.co.uk/gp-abarth-tuning/blow-off-mod-how-to-incs-sizes-and-whats-needed/

The panel filter and BOV combination defiantly make the car feel more freely revable higher up.

Last edited:
Thanks again lads :)

I understand the service schedule is in the manual but when cars are low mileage but also 5 years old, like mine, it can throw a few things up in the air.

I'm currently at 18,500 ish and I think this is probably the way I want to go forward - any thoughts more than welcome! :D

• Oil and Filter
  • Air filter (K&N / BMC Replacement??)
  • Iridium Plugs
  • Cambelt, tensioner and waterpump

• Oil and Filter
  • Check/ Clean or Replace Air filter

• Oil and Filter
  • Check/ Clean or Replace Air Filter
  • Iridium Plugs

Does that sound like a good base to work with?

No, as you're missing services there, its every 18k, and clearly set out in service schedule.

https://www.fiatforum.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=20

The only thing I can see is going 2k over the spark plugs.. my current plugs seem fine and I'm regularly sat at 40+ mpg so it seems to be running well even though the plugs are due replacement.

I would actually be changing the oil 8k early if you look at my 10k intervals - which could be a good thing for the turbo + engine :)

In my opinion, sticking to 10k makes things a lot easier to keep track of. Rather than 18, 36, 54, 72 etc...

If you were literally following your service schedule, and unless I'm missing something here, you would leave your multijet 21,000 miles without changing the oil? I don't think I'd personally leave any diesel for more than 10k...

If I'm honest - I wasn't asking for a booklet answer when I started this thread. I could of just read my manual to figure that out. I was hoping for some information which may actually differ from Fiats guidelines to help with the reliability/ longevity of my engine. E.G. "Fiat say 18k Oil changes but it's best advised to keep it at 10k to help turbo life" etc etc :)

As 1.8Stilo said "I personally only use the correct grade of selenia oil and change it every 5-6k. It's good for the turbo." which is much more useful to me than "stick to 18k it says in the manual"

EDIT: Read through this again and it sounds a bit abrupt - I didn't mean for it to come across that way :)

Last edited:
I ran my 155hp tjet engine in the Mito for 4-5years now and was why we got the misses her Tjet bravo the engine is a peach :)

I've found that to be ran on the selenia oil is the best, the misses bravo came serviced but to my anger when I looked at the invoice they had use the right grade of oil but specified for a diesel engine after a chat with the motorfactor that supplies the garage and friends that work at other parts places. It seems its now regularly practice for the same oil to be used in a petrol/diesel car. I drove the car home and had the oil changed the next day at my preferred alfa independent garage and maybe it was the placebo effect, but the engine sounds different on the right stuff.

There aren't many equivalent oils that meet the specification of the selenia oil. Opie oils online are good to find these if you don't want to use selenia. Though if you donate on here you can pick it up from Shop4parts online discounted.

The iridium plugs will be fine for 20k.

Last edited:
If you were literally following your service schedule, and unless I'm missing something here, you would leave your multijet 21,000 miles without changing the oil? I don't think I'd personally leave any diesel for more than 10k...

Nope, you don't leave it 21k, oil is specifically excluded from the service schedule on the 1.6 and 2.0 MJ (unless doing low mileage iirc) and you change it when the car tells you to, or before if you wish.

I am now running Texaco Ultra S in my T-Jet. I have found it meets the Selenia k P E specifications (ACEA C3, A3/B4; API SN/CF); and it meets most of the approvals:

• BMW Longlife-04 (restricted to EU countries for gasoline cars)
  • Daimler MB 229.51/229.31
  • Porsche A40 (5W-40)
  • Renault RN 0700/0710 (5W-40)
  • Volkswagen 502.00 / 505.00 (5W-30)
You should know that servicing the Bravo is a PITA. Much more difficult than it should be. Especially replacing the oil filter. I had to remove some pipes from the inter-cooler to access the oil filter.

Back