General serious problems i think?

Currently reading:
General serious problems i think?

Steph2010

i got up to go to work today got in car it started fine no problems at all, was on way to work and had just got on motorway was driving along in fast lane for about a mile n half when suddenly i lost all power and nearly caused massive pile up i crapped my sen to say the least,when i finally managed to get over to hard shoulder i had all sorts of errors coming up bulb failure, air bag failure and loose connection some i didnt manage to see properly, but it seemed to mess up all the electrics as i went to put window down abit and at the same time my lights were turning on and off as was the radio but it also seemed to make the car judder as if it was about to stall? i turned the engine off and tried to turn it on again but it just kept coming up checking then all the errors when i tried putting the window back up it went the opposite way and went further down after about 20 mins of trying while waiting for RAC i still hadnt got it back up.

The RAC bloke said that he thinks all the errors are purely down to the car losing power and that they will probably just need re setting but he couldnt find the reason to why it happened in the first place, he said that it seems to be mis firing and that it sounds like its only running on 3 cylinders and that i will def need new battery as this as knackered the one thats in at the min, im no mechanic but this all sound expensive?

The car seemed to be smoking really bad aswell but im not sure if this is something to do with the flexi down pipe as i havent had it replaced yet but its never done that before.

Has any one else had this problem or any ideas to what it could be?

If the cars running less than full cylinders it's going to be pricy. Get the new battery, buy the best you can afford, then see what happens. Maybe that'll fix it all. Maybe something else caused it all, lots of stilo issues can ne traced to stuffed batteries!

I assuming it's a 1.6

It's just possible you had a coil pack fail and caused such an EMF blast that it disabled many of the electronic systems with the weak battery only emphasizing the problems.

A new coil and battery may be all you need.

hi no its a 1.8. iv tried starting it again this afternoon and theres nothing there the on board comp comes on and the radio then when u actually try turning engine on everything just turns off and it goes dead.

Same applies to any petrol (1.6 is just more common ;))

Have you tried a reset (disconnect battery for say 30 minutes) and made sure the battery is actually OK?

hi no its a 1.8. iv tried starting it again this afternoon and theres nothing there the on board comp comes on and the radio then when u actually try turning engine on everything just turns off and it goes dead.

Dead batteries do that. Probably the alternator voltage went high when the battery failed causing the errors. Put in a new battery (not just jump leads onto your old battery. Take that out) and try again.

:(:cry: OK so the garage just phoned me after having the car for a while and unfortunatly it looks like my stilo has to go (n):cry: they have checked everything from bumper to bumper and my approx bill for fixing car £1356.66 (aparently thats WITHOUT labour) gutted!!!

one of the Cylinders is losing pressure so that needs fixing plus new battery, full new exhaust system, alot of fuses need replacing, abit of re wiring, cam belt needs replacing (not broken they said it looks knackered) central locking needs fixing doesnt work correctly now....

So my car is f***ked basically....

:cry::mad:Goodbye my little Stilo..............................

:(:cry: OK so the garage just phoned me after having the car for a while and unfortunatly it looks like my stilo has to go (n):cry: they have checked everything from bumper to bumper and my approx bill for fixing car £1356.66 (aparently thats WITHOUT labour) gutted!!!

one of the Cylinders is losing pressure so that needs fixing plus new battery, full new exhaust system, alot of fuses need replacing, abit of re wiring, cam belt needs replacing (not broken they said it looks knackered) central locking needs fixing doesnt work correctly now....

So my car is f***ked basically....

:cry::mad:Goodbye my little Stilo..............................

fix the necessary stuff, forget the exhaust if its not totally ****ed, forget central locking, fuses you can get from halfords. havent a clue what they'd need to rewire at all :confused:

anyway, just fix the basic parts you need to get you moving again and the save up for the rest.

Sound to me like you took the car to the WRONG garage. They can't even tell what's wrong with it by the sound of it :rolleyes:

Cars don't just develop loads of faults by magic - there has to be causation :confused:

Low compression could be down to a defective exhaust valve (you'd need a new cam belt kit anyway for this) but shouldn't cost that much if done by a competent garage that has experience with a Stilo

Back