Selling a car on eBay?

Currently reading:
Selling a car on eBay?

Josh Bowe

Hey, I'm selling my car (first time I've ever sold a car) and I'm just putting it on eBay at the moment.

Now I've used eBay before but this is the bit that I don't understand - do I sell it as a Buy It Now or Classified Ad as they pretty much look the same to me, just don't know which one to choose! Any help would be appreciated! (y)

Classified ads tend to be done by traders as they will have more than one vehicle for sale, you probably want BIN however there will be lower interest in it at BIN

An auction with a BIN on it, or an auction with a reserve will attract more interest IMO

Alright, thanks! :) I'll go for the Buy It Now for now!

Also, what payment method is best to specify?

Last edited:
Alright, thanks! :) I'll go for the Buy It Now for now!

Also, what payment method is best to specify?
That depends a lot on how much you are talking. Probably cash on collection or bank transfer. However you have to be sure you don't get handed a bunch of fake notes or a reversed transfer.

If its a large amount then it might be best to look into an escrow service.

if you can wait till the weekend:

***Motors half price listing weekend 6th and 7th June on eBay.co.uk and eBay.ie ***

04 June, 2009 | 10:00AM BST

List your car or any other vehicle on eBay.co.uk and eBay.ie this weekend and you�ll only pay half the usual price of the insertion fee*. You can list using the Auction-style, Auction-with-Buy It Now, or Buy It Now only listing formats.

*Terms and conditions apply eBay.co.uk / eBay.ie

Regards,
The eBay Team

Just be aware that Ebay charge atleast £20 final value fee on car sales (upto £35 if your car sells for alot). This is on top of the minimum £8 listing fee

You would be suprised how many people are shocked at the fees when they come through :)

As for listing. BIN with an auction is probably the best way to go. Set a sensible reserve on the auction. Either that or a BIN with best offer. Just a BIN on its own will still sell but will put people off.

if you can wait till the weekend:

***Motors half price listing weekend 6th and 7th June on eBay.co.uk and eBay.ie ***

04 June, 2009 | 10:00AM BST

List your car or any other vehicle on eBay.co.uk and eBay.ie this weekend and you�ll only pay half the usual price of the insertion fee*. You can list using the Auction-style, Auction-with-Buy It Now, or Buy It Now only listing formats.

*Terms and conditions apply eBay.co.uk / eBay.ie

Regards,
The eBay Team
Yeah, I just saw this last night and was going to hold it back. Thanks for the reminder! (y)

Just be aware that Ebay charge atleast £20 final value fee on car sales (upto £35 if your car sells for alot). This is on top of the minimum £8 listing fee

You would be suprised how many people are shocked at the fees when they come through :)

As for listing. BIN with an auction is probably the best way to go. Set a sensible reserve on the auction. Either that or a BIN with best offer. Just a BIN on its own will still sell but will put people off.
I think I'll do auction and BIN then, but apparently you have to use PayPal for a BIN so what's the deal with that? I don't want anyone to pay by PayPal as I'll loose loads on the commission fee.

i always avoid selling on free/half price weekends, because you will always recieve much fewer bids/lower final price because there is more cars on there, so more choice = less bids = less money, and whats £10 or what ever is nothing when your selling a car worth £££ tbh.

Right, thanks for the replies everyone... But final question, what is a good price to start an auction at for a car that I'm hoping to sell for around £2000?

Right, thanks for the replies everyone... But final question, what is a good price to start an auction at for a car that I'm hoping to sell for around £2000?

99p with a reserve.

If it dosen't then meet reserve you'll be able to see roughly what people are willing to pay by seeing what the highest bid is (y)

Jon.

Back