Technical Seicento sporting cutting out

Currently reading:
Technical Seicento sporting cutting out

just got a seicento sport 99 only 26000 miles
and the injector warning light is comming on and the car cuts out

The previous owner said he bust the exhaust on a hump and had it replaced recently. could this be relevant.

Should we go back to using our old reliable Cinq that never let us down.

Re previous post on fuel injection, I am amazed the garages approach to injection problems. Replace parts until it works..

any ideas please...

Last edited:
Exhaust is important as the 02 is in it. A visual inspection to start with, it should stick out perpendicular to the exhaust and the cable attached should be intact and attached to a plug at the other end.

The o2 sensor is not in circuit until the car warms up which is why it may start and run for a while before chucking it.

However, a 1999 car with only 26K would worry me a bit, its not gone far and has possibly done a lot of short journeys. Does it have a service history?

Cheers

D

Thanks for the info the exhaust sensor is possibly loose or not connected

I´ll check it out tonight. Was serviced recently and has been properly maintained.

Tommorow a garage are going to look at it but there is no harm looking for the obvious like dissconnected sensor THANKS AGAIN FOR RESPONDING

Update tonight No done that and the sensor is in place so we will wait and see what Will the mechanic finds. I thought it always rained in Scotland. like it does in Ireland

Last edited:
I have to report on my visit to the garage
Will popped the car on the computer thingy
entered make model and so on and studied the screen for a few mins
took of the air filter
squirted some stuff in while reving the engine a little
checked out the car completely and gave it a clean bill of health.
gave me some medicine and told me to pop it in when I next fill up with petrol
red injector light went out within 5mins of leaving garage and booting it
up the road a bit.
havn´t seen red light since so gave the car its medicine topped up and fingers crossed won´t see it again. Mind you its hard to see anyhow because its hidden by steering wheel .

Thanks for responding to my posting Quak Quak

went to work in car left it parked for 40 mins then the Blasted car wouldn´t start again only it did start after leaving for 20 mins

Replaced the petrol filter but it still doesnt go occanssionly until left for a while.

What part would be the next one to replace logically´

where can I get software that will give fault code to laptop computer.
Genden ltd say it cant be done on 1999 model

Or is the only solution to dump this car
A car that intermitently cuts out is very very dangerous why would anyone in there right mind get a car vwith fuel injection that nobody understands.

Last edited:
Thanks for prompt reply
will get busy Sunday am
ps Is crank sensor accessible

if you dont read this in time Ill probably get info from other posting
on crank sensors

Much appreciated M

done clean up of sensor scraped plenty of dirt of face of it
and reinserted into place. What gap was I to check

there are no points or did younmean gap between sensor and crank wheel
that is fixrd distance when reinserted

car started ok ran it for 20mins parked and left it for 50 mns
it then refused to start and smell of petrol around car.

took out plug it was dry

tried car again and it then started and run ok one i reved up a bit
well to be honest more tha a bit I put boot to the floor in desperartion

next time Ill try to open filler car cause it could be vacume in tank
could it ? next time I will remember to listen for fuel pump before tuning over engine..or all suggestions appreciated

If you removed the sensor from the bracket then the dimension should be OK, The bracket itself moves to set the gap.

Listen for the pump priming, has the filter been changed recently, has a spurious filler cap been fitted?

Cheers

D

fiat key fits filler cap so it must be original but ill check venting of same..
Always listening for humming of pump. good points

fitted new filter last week Should have been replaced earlier
J didn´t notice bracket adjuster for sensor it seemed to be fitted through hole drilled in aluminium casing and bolted directly to it

As its intermittent fault I assumed it was temperature related
but motor factors gave me wrong temp sensor so ill change it on Moday
I will also get new crank sensor . easy to fit
Ill eventually change all sensors just in case

Do you know of software and connector suppliers for getting codes from cpu . Genden ltd say their software may not work on 1999 model
Has to be done when fault is present Fiat admit not easy to do

thanks all help appreciated

Last edited:
99 model is not the current 'standard' for on board diagnostics. Its usually a case of checking the nominal values of the sensors. There is no memory in the ECU for the diagnostics to find, that fault has to be current.

Cheers

D

there is a three pin connector from a little box marked
magnet marelli I A W 16fm fiat 600 1.1 cm SP1fase 2

there are zillions of wires going into it from sensors all over car
surely it would have to be a cpu or converter to send stuff via a tiny oval yellow three pin plug

I want to get little scanner or reader or whatever fits onto male three pin plug unfortunately the car is to early for european standard which started in 2000
garage lost their fiat connector for the giant analysis machine thats no use anyhow as fault may not appear at time required.
One clever poster called polecat suggested an I Pod be used this would be a special one perhaps.

Fiat garage cant help so must get scanner to see cause of fault when it occurs only other option is to buy japanese car

Last edited:
These cheap scanners you can buy on ebay are designed around the newer eodb2 protocol.
I'm not shure what the IAW 16 series uses as the protocol but the equipment will probably cost more than the car's worth.

If the engine light comes on and the engine does'nt start after 10sec of turning over and the plugs are dry then it has to be fuel input related.
The injector itself could be intermittent, ie, clogged or seizing?

If the pump didn't prime everytime you turned the key then it could be the pump or pump relay?

I would go to a scrappy and pick up a complete throttle body, MAP sensor, and pump relay as swopping components is all you can do sometimes.

Thank you for your help

Is it possible that a car with such low milage would require a replacement injector Anyhow it seems likely that replacing parts is the only way

If I confirm petrol pump running and dry plugs again tomorrow that is what I shall do.
I will go to breakers and get all that is likely to help.

It is strange that it only happens in one particular parking spot
I will of course face the car the other way tomorrow on the slight slope
just in case it is dirt in tank gathering at one area of petrol suction pipe
or whatever.

Or it is possibly happening when the car has cooled down to a particular temperature. Thanks again I will post results tommorow

Well today I parked in the same spot but the other way round. Facing downhill on the slight slope for the first time.

Gave one rev before switching off ignition.
As usuall I came back 40 mins later
pumped accelator three times (possibly an old wives tale) from my brother
Turned on ignition and Bingo! it started immediately and took me home
as good as gold. Running beautifully.
Funny thing is home parking is also facing slight down hill slope.

All possibly coincidence. Still going to buy up scrappy bits

ps could inside of tank be corrodeing and full of floating rust.
some models were recalled for replacement tanks apparently.
replaced filter last week.

Last edited:
Well today for the first time I parked in the same spot but facing the other way downhill on the slight slope.

gave one rev before switching off ignition.
came back 40 mins later
pumped accelator three times (possibly an old wives tale) from my brother
turned on ignition and Bingo! it started immediately and took me home
as good as gold. Running beautifully.
funny thing is home parking is also facing slight down hill slope.

All possibly coincidence. Still going to buy up scrappy bits

ps could inside of tank be corrodeing and full of floating rust.
some models were recalled for replacement tanks apparently.
replaced filter last week.

There is that possibility with any car of a certain age but the only way to tell is to remove the filling pipe from the tank and drain down.
If it was dirt in the tank you would expect it to happen whilst moving, not parked up.

Back