Technical Seicento Sporting coolant temp warning light inop!?

Currently reading:
Technical Seicento Sporting coolant temp warning light inop!?

heyburn

Can anyone help. I've recently bought a 99 Seicento Sporting and I've noticed that the coolant temp warning light doesn't come on when you switch on the ignition.

I took the unit off the dash and checked the bulb which is fine, so now I'm struggling with where to next hunt for the problem. Is it that the temp sensor is faulty and that's why the warning light isn't illuminated on switching on the ignition?

Any help would be much appriciated.

Thanks for your reply, but it leaves me none the wiser.

What doesn't??

The temp sensors condition doesn't affect if the light comes on or not?

Or do you mean that the light doesn't come on if the sensor is faulty?

Cheers.

Hi

It will only come on when the coolant is really hot and about to blow off through the header cap seals, if it cones on try and stop the engine ASAP. Leave for long time check the coolant level...

Noel

Thanks for the replies.

It seems odd to me that the light wouldn't come on when you switch on the ignition as this is simply a test to show that the lights are operational and is why the oil warning light and battery charge warning light do come on.

Of all the cars I've ever owned this is the first one where that doesn't happen.

Yeah! That's why I came to this forum to ask people in the know before I started climbing all over the car looking for a fault.

Many thanks guys, appriciated.

It seems odd to me that the light wouldn't come on when you switch on the ignition as this is simply a test to show that the lights are operational and is why the oil warning light and battery charge warning light do come on.

Those lights don't come on to 'test', they come on because the conditions are correct for them to come on. The oil light comes on because there is no oil pressure (the engine isn't spinning, so the oil pump is off) and the battery light comes on because the voltage is below the what the alternator should be putting out (because it isn't spinning the alternator)

Can anyone help. I've recently bought a 99 Seicento Sporting and I've noticed that the coolant temp warning light doesn't come on when you switch on the ignition.

I took the unit off the dash and checked the bulb which is fine, so now I'm struggling with where to next hunt for the problem. Is it that the temp sensor is faulty and that's why the warning light isn't illuminated on switching on the ignition?

Any help would be much appriciated.

If you have intention to keep your fiat for a long time or buy more fiats in future i reccomend that you either buy or download the free version of the fiatecuscan
You can read and erase all errors from ecu and perform light and other tests to make sure that everything works as it should...all you need is a laptop and a vag cable+ fiatecuscan

If you have intention to keep your fiat for a long time or buy more fiats in future i reccomend that you either buy or download the free version of the fiatecuscan
You can read and erase all errors from ecu and perform light and other tests to make sure that everything works as it should...all you need is a laptop and a vag cable+ fiatecuscan

That only works if OBD2 compliant, and OP's car is OBD1

This light?
temperature2.jpg

On my 2002 sporting this light comes on when i switch the ignition on then goes off a few seconds later, as do all the other lights.

yes but yours is an MPI

The OP's is a 1999 model - an SPI which uses a different ecu and where everything isnt controlled by the ECU unlike yours - this is already covered in this thread by arc

Last edited:
Back