General Seicento Sporting Aerial

Currently reading:
General Seicento Sporting Aerial

[email protected]

Hi - I have a Y reg Fiat Seicento Sporting (red) which is a great car and has taken me all around the country and even over to France.

When I bought it, it came with a Sony radio/CD which worked fine. Then it gradually started to have problems tuning in to radio stations. Now it can't find any radio stations at all.

I was advised to have a look at where the aerial is attached to the top of the car, but I can't see any problems. I've taken the stereo out and checked all the connections and it seems fine. My usual mechanic has had a look at it and said that the cable that runs down the side of the windscreen has broken and he needs to replace the whole aerial and cable. I was happy with this but he hasn't been able to get the part from Fiat.

My local Fiat dealership in Liverpool want nearly £80 just to look at the car and won't even tell me how much they will charge for parts or labour to fix the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this could be fixed? Or should I just sign a blank cheque to the Fiat dealership and be done with it? I've looked for a Haynes manual for a Seicento but can't find one anywhere.

Any ideas/help would be hugely appreciated!

thanks,
Matt

just get one from the scrappie/ebay.
remove the old one BUT attach a cable/string to the radio end connection and drag that through as you remove the cable through the roof.
this way you use this string/cable to drag the 'new' cable back through the car.
easy job to do

Thanks! That's great advice. I don't know much about cars so sorry if my questions seem a bit basic.

Do I need to look specifically for a Fiat aerial cable or can I buy a generic one?

hi if the aerial is the same as a cinq the roof aerial is in two pieces the base and the adjustable flexi part. the two need to connect thru the same principles as the rear lights on the boot spring loaded on the top part of the aerial(sure its a carbon type material)and a grooved track on the fixed part of the arial.
my areal contact track was dirty and once it was gleaned up with a mini wire brush the contacts were great and radio back to normal.
another good metal cleaner you could use is liquid flux that plumbers use put a little on the fixed track and give it a little heat to speed things up.( same principle in the old coin in brown sauce trick)should solve your bad signal

Thanks very much for your advice.

I've just unscrewed the rearview mirror and dropped down the light so that I could access the underside of the aerial. The only thing is I still can't really get at it properly. Am I approaching this the right way?

I can feel that the cable is connected to the underside of the aeriel but can't see how to get to it properly.

well if you are adamant you want to change the arial it should be a single bolt inside with a loop for the connection.
if you want to try look for a bad contact as i mentioned its all from the outside of the car.

Thanks Tony - I may need to replace the aerial now anyway. When I tried to look at the connections the top part broke clean off.

I can see the single bolt that holds it in place inside the car, but I can't actually get it to very easily - it's quite well concealed. I can't seem to find any idiots guides to changing the aerial... so I'm not sure if I'm out of my depth here.

Back