General Seicento Rear drum Brakes.

Currently reading:
General Seicento Rear drum Brakes.

bakins

Hi Folks,

Newbie here and I'll be honest I've signed up as needing some help and researched the site but struggling to find my answer. I know there's a lot of threads etc. about rear brakes for the Seicento but none appear to be the same as my problem.

First up I'd like to say I'm not a mechanic, but I'm pretty good with cars and kinda know what is what.

I've got a 1999 Sporting Seicento and I've basically stripped and rebuilt the rear brakes as it was due it's MOT. I changed the backing plates as they were rusted and also changed the brake cylinders. Handbrake actuators were also seized so I loosened them up and coated them in grease to prevent it again. I also dismantled the handbrake cable and sprayed WD40 down inside the cable and it's rubber case, so it's lubed up and can be pulled from one side to the other freely (hope that makes sense?!).

Banged it in for MOT only to be told it failed on service brake. It did pass the handbrake test though. MOT bloke said there was little or no resistance from rear brakes when pressing foot pedal. It did pass on front brakes and I wouldn't say there was much in the way of travel when pressing the pedal (I bleed the brakes when installing new cylinders).

I took another look today and my problem seems to be with the off-side drum and pads. I've adjusted the handbrake cable and the nearside seems good with just a little bit of friction with the handbrake off. The off-side however, spins with no resistance. If I tighten the handbrake more then the N/S will be permanently jammed on.

I'm by no means an expert, but just really frustrated by this as I can't seem to see the problem. Plus if the MOT chap says it passed on handbrake test but not foot pedal test then to my that would suggest the cylinders aren't pushing the pad outs enough to make contact with the drums. I can't see how to adjust this and because there new, I know there not faulty or seized. I've uploaded (hopefully) a picture.

Sorry for the long message, but the only thing I'm not sure about is the two silver disc things with holes on each pad. I know they fit on pins from the backing plate but can you adjust them or anything to help them make more contact with the drum?

Any advice or help would be grateful and thanks in advance for any replies.

Attachments

• Drum.jpg
    Drum.jpg
    714.6 KB · Views: 85
You can push/lever the shoes out so you can "just" get the drums on (it's a sort of eccentric action). Also, do check that the pads are actually moving with the help of an assistant. If not, bleeding, possible collapsed flexi, etc.

If the handbrake passed, it's not the issue, so stop messing with it.

Back