Technical Seicento Overheating on Track

Currently reading:
Technical Seicento Overheating on Track

I took my new to me Sei Schumacher out at Castle Combe yesterday.

First time out, I ran about 6-7 laps, before the red temperature light came on.

Second time out, I got the red light, backed off, but the system overbuild and I left the track in a cloud of steam.

As a precaution, I then dropped the coolant and refilled (couldn't back flush, though) - then bled out the system.

Ran up to temp, fan kicking in and out absolutely fine.

Back on out track, no issues for a couple of sessions... but later in the afternoon, I got the red light after 6-7 laps again. Let it cool, but only got 3 laps next time out before the red light.

Driving home, the car behaved - no overheating etc.

Any suggestions?- I want to really use this car on track days, but don't want to modify away from OEM Schumacher spec., as it's also a bit of a punt as an investment.

I plan to send it to my friendly mechanic for a water pump, cam belt, thermostat and new radiator, unless anyone has other suggestions?

Also conscious that I don't have a temperature gauge - is the easy fix for this to substitute a Panda thermostat housing and sender into the system, then source a suitable gauge?

It could easily just be down to an old rad.
They tend to fail with the zig-zag fins collapsing and blocking airflow long before any form of leakage.

The extreme stress of running flatout on track can easily be too much unless the rad is flowing freely.

Extra stress for the driver with the Sei's lack of a gauge too...!!

if there was a cloud of steam it has either overpressurised or something is leaking.

it could be as simple as bad rad cap, but could well be the rad itself or even the heater matrix.

my cinq managed a good couple of trackdays with no issues and it wasnt in the best of health cooling system wise.

i would drain and flush the system. replace the rad if it looks at all rotten (i have one you can have if you come and get it), replace the thermostat (i also have one you can have if you collect), replace the rad cap and see how it goes.
if the water pump isnt leaking, i would suggest that is still fine. beyond that it would be a case of either the heater matrix has gone or its a headgasket or similar issue that only manifests itself when hammering it.

if you dont want to go replacing things, then a leakdown test and or a cooling system pressure test can be done to see where your issues could be if it isnt a simple thermostat or rad cap issue.

If your cooling system checks out ok, I'd be looking at how to get the heat out. With the exhaust manifold running directly behind the radiator there is a lot of heat to get rid of.

Remove your Sei Bonnet and buy a second hand one that you can put an extractor vent in.

D

My mechanic has had a look over it this afternoon.

He reckons it's unlikely to be the head gasket, definitely recommended the water pump and belt change. (I've had this with a Cinq in the past - overheating, but not a blown head gasket - water pump wasn't leaking, but did need replacing).

Said a rad is cheap for Seicentos, so it's worth putting one on it, plus the thermostat.

I reckon I could get engine temp. info from the OBD socket, though - so may go down the route of doing it with a BT dongle.

If the waterpump isn't clogged with crap, not leaking and not sheared off internally, it will work as efficiently as the day it was installed.
If you don't know the history of the car then it's a good idea to do it as part of servicing though.

My cinq engine was in a right state when I took it out, but the waterpump was still perfectly fine. They should last a long time if the coolant system is looked after.

Firstly I’d check the strength of the coolant it could be quite weak or just water

I had a sei Schumacher and the fan would come on a few times then not bother to turn on after. There’s a relay that controls the fans check those and as said above look for leaks etc.

You could try doing a sniff/ leak test to see if hydrocarbons are coming back in to the coolant which would indicate the head gasket. My head gasket went on the way to the Nurburgring from Lucerne. It never overheated once but the bore eventually filled with coolant

Last edited:
Back