Technical Seicento MPI Turbo ECU

Currently reading:
Technical Seicento MPI Turbo ECU

woj

Established member
I hope I made the title attractive enough :devil:

The (yes, marketing) question is: how many of you guys would be interested in a turbo version of the 1.1 Seicento MPI ECU (IAW 4AF)? And I mean a proper turbo version, fully functional with respect to the original version, premapped for 99% of your use cases. The only thing required of you would be upgrading the injectors and the MAP sensor (and of course putting the turbo on).

We're talking about the post micro ecu ecu, right?

Strangely -- or maybe not -- I'd be interested in one for am MR2 turbo!

After all, an ECU is an ECU.

There's nothing wrong with the stock MR2 tub ECU, but it (at least in early cars) has the limitation of a MAF, has blink test diagnostics, and a distributor. Think Bosch done by Japanese.

It's over complex and the best replacements come in at well over 1200 euros plus RR time.

Sorting out a mount for a crank sensor, some way of doing a cam sensor and a 60-2 wheel would be minor issues by comparison.

I will be interested in 75 MPI Turbo ECU :))) - .BIN file :) As you say, I should TURBO it :)

The 18F turbo ECU is all done and ready. But you will not get the bin file alone, I would need your ECU for few days. You can then extract the bin file and do whatever you want with it (not that I want you to, but I would not be able to stop you). PM me when you are interested.

We're talking about the post micro ecu ecu, right?

Strangely -- or maybe not -- I'd be interested in one for am MR2 turbo!

After all, an ECU is an ECU.

There's nothing wrong with the stock MR2 tub ECU, but it (at least in early cars) has the limitation of a MAF, has blink test diagnostics, and a distributor. Think Bosch done by Japanese.

It's over complex and the best replacements come in at well over 1200 euros plus RR time.

Sorting out a mount for a crank sensor, some way of doing a cam sensor and a 60-2 wheel would be minor issues by comparison.

Yes, we are talking about the proper ECU, though I suspect the micro ECU might be able to run the same program, but I have not checked yet.

Your case would be much more difficult. To make it premapped I would need a more or less correct VE table of your engine. Also the trigger teeth for the cam sensor on the MPI are rather weird and you would have to reproduce this on your engine.

So this is what you've been up to you old dog, about time you got some comercial reimbursement for your efforts. (y) :D

Yes, and I actually got quite far with it, hence the question on the top.

Well if you can conjure up something for the 59F too I'm sure you'll need a trailer to get your wallet to the bank. I'd also be looking at N/A maps, not everyone wants the old hair dryer. Quite a few companys claim to have interfaces for the 59 now (Galletto etc.) but it needs someone who understands these non intuitive interfaces to map this kind of thing. When you look at something like a DTA you see big colours and auto tune, when you look at a Magnetti Marelli you see the Matrix. :D

Are we talking about this one ?

425_350_productGfx_89e60ca746ce0d7be56ceefcf76860a2.jpg

If so how hard are these to come by :confused: never seen one before

Are we talking about this one ?

Almost, this is newer generation for Panda-s and such. The main difference is the addition of CAN (and hence a series of fundamental functional differences). Look for IAW4AF-M9 on ebay, there were plenty once I checked (not expensive either).

Well if you can conjure up something for the 59F too I'm sure you'll need a trailer to get your wallet to the bank. I'd also be looking at N/A maps, not everyone wants the old hair dryer. Quite a few companys claim to have interfaces for the 59 now (Galletto etc.) but it needs someone who understands these non intuitive interfaces to map this kind of thing. When you look at something like a DTA you see big colours and auto tune, when you look at a Magnetti Marelli you see the Matrix. :D

N/A maps are a piece of cake now, but I get your point, might be worth considering too, or even primarily.

Could you please post the link to this German micro ECU thread again? I lost it and I am too lazy to look for it :p

About last remark - I actually think that MM have very elegant and elegantly simple programs in their ECUs. The modern Bosches with the damn torque model is something that throws me off :(

so i would need to re loom my micro ecu sei to take the IAW4AF-M9 ? and code box ect

Pretty much so. The code box is not that big of an issue as immo can be easily removed from the ECU and it can recoded itself. Though I do not know if the code boxes are compatible in general.

what about a turbo ecu for the 1.2 16v ecu to run the tjet or just the 1.4 16v?

Ming

I did make a turbo version of the 1.2 16V ECU (IAW 18FD) and there were some tests. The problem was none of the cars we tested this on were mechanically sound, so I cannot draw any conclusions from the experiments. And on top of that the 18FD is troublesome and not the best thing in the world to use to control your engine. For a t-jet it would need to be fully remapped, so you would be much better of using the 18F 8V turbo version ECU or the one I am working on right now. Of course looming it up is always an issue.

would be interested to know more..

to include boost control? i know you were working on that on your own car - and would you still be able to adjust your boost and it still be all good or would it be set for a predetermined boost level?

kinda price you thinking? think its fair to say you spent alot of time on the r&d so not expecting it to be really really cheap or anything - just curious if you got price in mind already?

I am planning to include boost control in the long run (this is guarded by the assumption that there are free CPU pins that are connected outside of the ECU and that there is a free clock/interrupt in the code). But, premappinig EBC is extremely difficult - the calibration values depend on the turbo, the wastegate, and the control valve all at the same time. You change one, your boost levels go into unknown. (Majority of the work on my car was actually to calibrate it).

Price-wise, it has to be worthwhile for me, so probably around 200 Euro plus the price of the ECU (have seen them for 50-ish on ebay a while back) if not provided.

Back