General seicento MOT fail

Currently reading:
General seicento MOT fail

quicklee99

Hi newbie here, hope you peeps can help

Grrr the missus seicento failed its MOT

I think there is an earthing fault with the lights as with the side lights on when the brakes are applied the drivers die brake light flashes with the indicator. Anyone encountered this problem before?

Also this morning when I went to take it to the garage when I went to release the hand brake button it wouldn't release, it was like the button was stuck, dunno what I did but after a lot of cursing and hitting it released. Got to the garage an engaged it but the button didn't pop out again :(

Looks like Im gonna have a day wasted trying to fix it. Plus another day to have it MOT'd again. So any help would be much appreciated. Its a 53 plate sporting if that makes any difference.

Thanks fingers

How easy are these cables to replace, do you have any links to the appropriate reference material?

Also whats the best way of getting access to the handbrake assembly, I presume the center column needs to come out, if so how?

Sorry for all the questions, I'd just like to be able to do what I can and save the g/f some time an money.

Access to the cable is from under the car. In the centre there are two boxes, one for the gearshift remote, one for the handbrake: taking off the smaller cover will give you limited access to the handbrake mechanism.

They're both very simple. The handbrake mechanism itself is very robust. The cables when they do fail, usually fail because the outer is damaged on the inside. If you can't move the inner cable freely on both sides with the mechanisms disconnected at both ends, replace the cable.

A squirt of WD40 towards the release mechanism won't hurt at all.

A few pics:

handbrake-sei-1.jpg

handbrake-sei-2.jpg

Sei_and_Cinq_rear_brake.jpg

Also there's a handbrake FAQ (or maybe guide) above.

Last edited:
Hey Finger thanks that was so helpful!

In the end the garage managed to sort the lights and the handbrake, only charged £30 labour too and its passed the MOT now too.

So happy I don't have to **** about with it all now.

Will be back here if I encounter any more trouble.

Hey thats a bit harsh! lol

Its not my car as I said before, its nice to know there is a helpful fiat forum thou.

I used to have an Uno (first car) so do have a small soft spot for fiats.

Don't have any mods planned for the g/f's car thou, Ideally I'd like her to get something a tiny bit bigger, something that is easier to drive on the motorway.

Do you have that little confidence in fiat that I will have more problems before the next MOT? lol

Last edited:
Hmm..

Guess is not your fault not knowning the handbrake issues, the cinq and sei suffer :D

I do have every confidence in my little cinq, else i won't be driving it would i ?

Apart from the handbrake, they are great cars!!!

Ming

Back