Technical Seicento inner CV boot prob

Currently reading:
Technical Seicento inner CV boot prob

rogerowen

I've just bought the inner boots as I've got serious oil leaks. All the other CV boot clips I've seen have a n section that you squeeze together to tighten. But the clips I've been sent are already squeezed in making a shape that a screw driver blade could fit into. Does this tighten by turning a screw driver or special tool? I just can't work it out:bang::bang::bang:

I did my boots a couple of months back so may be able to help. Can you post a picture of the clip? Difficult to know without a pic.

I did my boots a couple of months back so may be able to help. Can you post a picture of the clip? Difficult to know without a pic.
Thanks, here's a picture of new boot / bearing assemby. I'm doing the other side too - clip exactly the same. Don't want to mess it up getting it wrong as they cost a few bob!

Attachments

• boot.JPG
    boot.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
I braught 2 CV boots for my Cento and were £5 each but then relise i needed the actual CV joint witch comes with the boot! They were £28 pound each. The clips are the clips that you squeese together on mine i think they were the same

Continental-direct do a 3 pair clip pack available from Motor factors for about £5 if you need extra. Also try eBay.
Code; CVB000
There is a proper tool to do these as usual.

Yes, they have a bearing inside - different each side, £26 & £28 each, can only buy from main dealer and there is a minimum order of 2 for each side (+ the dreaded VAT) - so expensive!
As far as the clip goes I can't see how squeezing it will have any effect - it seems to be already squeezed, about half a millimeter left to squeeze - surely not enough to clamp tight.

Thanks, here's a picture of new boot / bearing assemby. I'm doing the other side too - clip exactly the same. Don't want to mess it up getting it wrong as they cost a few bob!
That's weird. It's like mine was but you're right about it not having enough room. It looks like all the space has already been taken up. I'd probably either take it back or get a new one. Sorry can't offer more. Maybe someone else can?

Aha! The penny has dropped. The clip must be already clamped around the bearing - no need for anymore tightening! The bearing must be an interference fit to the shaft. Not sure how I'm going to drive it into position - definitely shat out to the work bench! Why is the Fiat workshop manual so vague???!!!(n)

When I did mine I used a boot without a bearing. Took the old boot off and slid the new one on. Easy peasy. Shaft was off the car though as I thought I'd do both inner and outer boots at the same time. I thought that if one boot is failing then the other probably isn't far behind.
I'd say if the bearing is okay swap the boot for one without a bearing, they're only about £6 or so.

When I did mine I used a boot without a bearing. Took the old boot off and slid the new one on. Easy peasy. Shaft was off the car though as I thought I'd do both inner and outer boots at the same time. I thought that if one boot is failing then the other probably isn't far behind.
I'd say if the bearing is okay swap the boot for one without a bearing, they're only about £6 or so.
Didn't know they were available without the bearing - well that's what I was told! 'Main dealer item availability only'. The gaitors look ok - and the professional opinion was that the oil was actually leaking through the bearing. I'm going to carefully check to make sure its not just loose clips, and if that's the case I reckon I've spent £115 over the odds:eek:

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back