General seicento clutch cable

Currently reading:
General seicento clutch cable

oakleys

Fitted new clutch cable today to sons Seicento 1.2 mpi. Read all forum posts I could find on subject before starting. Was feeling quite pleased with myself when I had old cable removed and new one fed through bulkhead from engine bay and connected up to the plastic quadrant behind passenger footwell in half an hour. Then timewise it all went down hill I spent 2 hours trying to fit the split pin through the hole in the hook on the end of the cable. Access is tight as mentioned in all the posts, I had unbolted the transponder and moved it out of the way and peeled back the carpet. The pin will only feed through one way from the inside of the car towards the inner wing, there is then about 2mm clearance before it touches the soundproofing on the inner wing making it impossible to open the splits to secure it. I gave up eventually and managed to get a paper clip through the hole in the hook and bent it round to secure it. I cant see that there would be too much pressure on the pin as its only purpose seems to be to hold the hook in place the pressure seems to be on the hook itself as its lifted up and pulled back down by the quadrant.Anyone had a similar issue and managed to find a way round it. The split pin is no thicker than the paperclip, its just that the paperclip could be semi bent into shape before being fed through the hook. Thanks

My repair with the paper clip has lasted a couple of months, just broken again tonight. Those of you who have attempted this repair know that access is very tight, how do I remove the dash to get more room.
Thanks

I did the same as fingers, just replace with an r clip. A pair of long nosed pliers and a bit of patience help.

If I remember rightly I removed the pushrod that comes from the pedal, levered out the plastic segment, and pushed the hook through from the other side, so the hole is closest to you. Stupid idea by fiat that.

These are very useful for holding things.
curved-forceps-250mm.jpg

I found it a damn sight easier to fit the split pin by removing the passenger seat & lying on the car floor. Might not make it that much easier but your back will thank you for it.

I found it a damn sight easier to fit the split pin by removing the passenger seat & lying on the car floor. Might not make it that much easier but your back will thank you for it.

I thought removing the seat was a norm. lol
A head torch is another "must have" item.

I thought removing the seat was a norm. lol
A head torch is another "must have" item.

Oh I do love a good head torch. I always look like a sodding miner working on the car, black face and a torch on my head. All I need now are a pair of orange overalls and a pick.

Back