Technical Seicento Clutch cable.

Currently reading:
Technical Seicento Clutch cable.

fiatista

Evening all, recently bought a V reg Seicento SX, what a great little car, wish I had bought one before now. Unfortunately the clutch cable has just snapped. As far as I can see, it is impossible to replace without partially releasing the entire dashboard, and pull it forward enough to access the clutch quadrant. Access from the engine compartment is a non starter. I'm hoping that I do not have to remove the steering wheel, even though the air bag is not functioning (fuse is missing). Has anybody else removed the dashboard from this model of Seicento?:confused:

The trickiest thing is removing the old split pin.

Agree with removing passenger seat.

Thanks for the tip, I shall have a go at this as there does not seem to be much of an alternative at the moment

I took mine to a garage to get the clutch cable changed, they managed to split the little shelf under the dash and remove it. but the second time I took it to them, they cut it out with a knife, badly! (even tho it was still a bit loose from the first time) don't know how they did it or if I'd reccomend doin it. but its still an option.

When I did mine I left the top screw for that plate loose and just tightened the two bottom ones.

Next time I come to do it all I'll have to do is drop the two bottom screws and move the plate to one side pull the pin and drop the cable.

Simples.

Oh and a magnetic screwdriver or long flexi handled magnet (halfrauds do them) does come in handy so i'll be making sure I keep one in my car just in case.

:D

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the replies so far, I'm going to have another bash (not literally!) at the job over the next few days. I'll report back with any other tips I find helpful. :)

When I did mine I left the top screw for that plate loose and just tightened the two bottom ones.

Next time I come to do it all I'll have to do is drop the two bottom screws and move the plate to one side pull the pin and drop the cable.

Simples.

Oh and a magnetic screwdriver or long flexi handled magnet (halfrauds do them) does come in handy so i'll be making sure I keep one in my car just in case.

:D

Thanks

I leave that stupid plate off in both ma cinq :D

Ming

(y)Job now finished after much time spent on floor of car. As suggested it was easier with the passenger seat removed. I took off the metal plate in front of the brake mechanism and decided to leave it off as it is difficult to remove and refit. Due to poor access I was unable to fit a washer behind the split pin holding the clutch cable to the nylon pivot (quadrant)which isn't very satisfactory so I might need another go at that. I replaced the nylon pivot while I was doing the job, if you unbolt the rod operating it at the clutch pedal end, it can be manouvered through the brake mechanism housing and worked on at the bench. Should I have to do the job again - not for some time I hope - I shall seriously consider cutting away a section of the lower parcel shelf to improve the almost impossible access. That and maybe taking the passenger door off.

(y)Job now finished after much time spent on floor of car. As suggested it was easier with the passenger seat removed. I took off the metal plate in front of the brake mechanism and decided to leave it off as it is difficult to remove and refit. Due to poor access I was unable to fit a washer behind the split pin holding the clutch cable to the nylon pivot (quadrant)which isn't very satisfactory so I might need another go at that. I replaced the nylon pivot while I was doing the job, if you unbolt the rod operating it at the clutch pedal end, it can be manouvered through the brake mechanism housing and worked on at the bench. Should I have to do the job again - not for some time I hope - I shall seriously consider cutting away a section of the lower parcel shelf to improve the almost impossible access. That and maybe taking the passenger door off.

I left the washer off and the cable keep coming out. So sort it as soon as :D

Ming

Back