Technical Seicento Citymatic Gearbox

Currently reading:
Technical Seicento Citymatic Gearbox

gunnertonpandaman

Has anyone been daft as me and bought one of these? My excuse is that I am a disabled driver and owned 4 other Fiats in the past - 4x4 Pandas.
On the Citymatic I have had a clutch mechanism changed after we had owned it a month and the same problem has occurred after a year. I have a cd workshop manual and understand the operation of the clutch mechanism?Can anyone point me in the right direction to start with? When it's working it is a good little car, but if this is going to be expensive I have a 1000cc fuel injection fire engine out of a Fiat Panda. I have only been a member for 1 week and I can see you are an enthusiastic bunch for engine swaps. Would this be a simple swap? Would I need a different ECU? For now I would like to get the car running as quickly as possible and do the engine swap when I have more time.

You've hit the nail on the head regarding the citymatics archilles heel and it is the clutch actuator system.

Are you after it being a manual? Or does your disability become effected if its a manual? (no offence intended)

This type of conversion has been done by a few members. One with a citymatic which he converted to a manual had his own site with pics etc.

You dont have to do a full engine out job to convert by previous posts, you can still use current engine

Only thing is i cant remember his username :eek: Might have to do a search for their posts, a few to get you started though help they are of some help https://www.fiatforum.com/search.php?searchid=1800200

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for your instant reply. The engine & gearbox I have are out of a 40,000 mile car which have been looked after. In the present car it goes like the clappers. I bought it with the intention of using the engine & gearbox for the swap. The body shell is mint condition and is a "K" Reg. The shell will be used with the 4x4 running gear. I'll check over aSeicento as soon as possible to see what might be possible and try to find out more from the site about this engine change.

Excuse me if I've read the original post wrongly, but I don't think the two items are connected.

The clutch problem on a citymatic doesn't mean it needs a different engine. The 999 Fire will fit, but not the transmission.

The part that you will need to source from a scrappy for your sei is the manual pedal box assembly. Once you've got that, you might then need a manual ECU, strangely enough I've got a spare one of them, and the rest of the clutch actuation bits like a cable and arm.

Cheers

D

HI D
Wich part of sunny scotland would that be .I live in northumberland,4 miles north of the Roman wall.To me thats the boarder.Now to get down to it are you telling me this would get me back and not get ripped off buy some *ait garage.That would be nice can I give out my phone number out on this site well its best to pm for phone number. Give me a ring and we could have a chat about the conversion and cash. I am in all day
tar GPM

Last edited by a moderator:
:) I am interested in the parts you have and for any advice to get this bedstead on the road. This site is new to me and don't know how to get the best out of it yet. Can you e mail me back with how we can get in touch?

GPM

Excuse me if I've read the original post wrongly, but I don't think the two items are connected.

The clutch problem on a citymatic doesn't mean it needs a different engine. The 999 Fire will fit, but not the transmission.

The part that you will need to source from a scrappy for your sei is the manual pedal box assembly. Once you've got that, you might then need a manual ECU, strangely enough I've got a spare one of them, and the rest of the clutch actuation bits like a cable and arm.

Cheers

D
Hello D,
We tried to get in touch you by a PM but we have not received an answer. It might be that we haven't done things correctly and you didn't get our message (this is all new to us). The car is still sitting on the drive, I don't know if I should go to the local breakers. The bits you have I would be interested in, as you seem to know what you're talking about and it seems the simplest way to get the thing back on the road without too much work. Any idea on the price, obviously you need to include the postage, I hope the bits are not too heavy, as this will add to the cost.

Back