Technical sei sporting alloy wheel locking bolt

Currently reading:
Technical sei sporting alloy wheel locking bolt

hi there,

looking to change my front brakes but when i looked at the bolts one out the four looked like a rounded triangle with a load of splines around the outside and i have looked all round the car for a special socket to go over it to undo it but no joy:cry::cry::bang:.

anybody know where i can get a replacement or a obvious way of getting it off. thanks

Get a plan bolt from a scrappes (i got 4 for a couple of quid) or a new set from somewhere before removal. Iv previously got an old socket from a set i found outside a bunch of eptied flats and hammerd a socket on that was just too small and no more.. then removed as slowly as i could and it finally came out :)

hi there,

looking to change my front brakes but when i looked at the bolts one out the four looked like a rounded triangle with a load of splines around the outside and i have looked all round the car for a special socket to go over it to undo it but no joy:cry::cry::bang:.

anybody know where i can get a replacement or a obvious way of getting it off. thanks
look in the spare wheel well

I would say don't put them back either, I find them pretty frustrating to have.

Especially if you're unlucky enough to get a flat tyre. You end up sitting at the side of the road in the pouring rain fiddling about with a socket it took you 10 minutes to find, spinning it about on the bolt like trying to crack a safe then when you finally manage to get it off you've got to put it back on again to fit the spare. Also in your case if you lose the socket you're f****d anyway..

I would say don't put them back either, I find them pretty frustrating to have.

Especially if you're unlucky enough to get a flat tyre. You end up sitting at the side of the road in the pouring rain fiddling about with a socket it took you 10 minutes to find, spinning it about on the bolt like trying to crack a safe then when you finally manage to get it off you've got to put it back on again to fit the spare. Also in your case if you lose the socket you're f****d anyway..

lmao never thought of it in that way. ill probably get 4 standard bolts from scrappy or local.

I have looked everywhere in the car. i will most probably do the old socket trick as suggested.

Thanks Everybody:worship:

you will normally find front bolts go tighter than rear ones due i guess to torque from the driveshafts but more importantly an old socket hammered on unless you are lucky is a last resort tactic
first thing to do is hammer punch these lockers to give them a bit of a shock so as to hopefully free the threads up a bit
then i would recommend a proper socket for removing them which has a left hand thread cut into it and bites deeper as you undo it
ebay sell them in 2's but your local factor should keep them,i last got mine from unipart

....first thing to do is hammer punch these lockers to give them a bit of a shock so as to hopefully free the threads up a bit
then....
& give them a good soaking in penetrating oil for as many days as you can.

Don't think the universal gripper socket people have mentioned will be man enough to budge front wheel bolts. Had to resort to the old 'bang on a socket technique' myself then replaced them with locking bolts with more defined ribs (that don't round off so easily).
Like these.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Locking-A...ts_ET&fits=Model:Seicento&hash=item1c31a0b815

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
& give them a good soaking in penetrating oil for as many days as you can.

Don't think the universal gripper socket people have mentioned will be man enough to budge front wheel bolts. Had to resort to the old 'bang on a socket technique' myself then replaced them with locking bolts with more defined ribs (that don't round off so easily).
Like these.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Locking-A...ts_ET&fits=Model:Seicento&hash=item1c31a0b815

I use a trace of copper slip on first few threads they still gall on

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
thanks for all the reply's,

i will certainly get another set of locking bolts like the ones mentioned above and find a old socket that will fit or buy a cheap one.

thanks for all the replys.:worship::worship:

i also have removed locking wheel nuts with the socket method.. usually a 18mm one.

stick an extension bar on it and hit it firmly with a heavy hammer a few times - if its not a rubbish socket you can normally hold it in a vice and whack the bolt back out. Its that or you need 4 sockets ;)

If you're forced to use the old socket method....
Find the widest flat or some other identifiable point on a locking wheel-nut then mark the wheel with a non-permanent marker. Use the same point on each wheel-nut to mark the other three. When you've hammered the socket on the first wheel make a mark on the socket. Line the mark up on the socket with the mark on each wheel you do -that way it will be easier to hammer the nut on each time, & the socket won't get so chewed up & be useless after two nuts (y)

Back