General Sei head gasket and scrapping...

Currently reading:
General Sei head gasket and scrapping...

Morning!

I believe the people in my older posts re me losing water were right about the radweld not fixing the water leak (ah well!)

This week the poor Cento got frozen up and water pump blew and took fan belt with it. The car made it ten miles before overheated (50 foot from garage!) and they put new water pump , fan belt and coolant on for £130. They then said that their was whistling noise from water resovoir and that cylinder head needs testing but is probably about to go and would be about another £250 min (or they said take chance and just put gasket on and no skimming)

I am now considering scrapping poor spike as the value of car is abot £400 and the repairs would be about £380 min.

Where is best place to take car , scrappers, thost nice internet places that collect your car ,how much would a garage give on trade if was paying about £1k for a car, or would anyone be interested in taking it for parts.

At the moment they say it starts and runs a bit rough but is driveable.

It is such a shame as prior to this it was doing over 40mg , had brand new clutch , recon gearbox , backplate and new tyres and still looks good too..

Cheers in advance
Ste

You won't get much more than scrap value on trade in at a garage unless they think they can fix it cheap.

If its a genuinely tidy car (I didn't see the previous thread) then it will be easily resaleable after repair at maybe 500.

Similarly the places that come and take it away will give you scrap value minus their costs. Steel being about £120/ton - you'll be looking at around £100. If they're intending to break it for parts you might get maybe £200 but I wouldn't count on it.

If I had somewhere to put it I'd be interested but I don't and SWMBO says no :(

Do you have the ability to break it yourself? You'll see easily £400 back if its got a good gearbox, clutch, interior, wheels, engine parts (sell them separately and be prepared to post them), body panels. Only catch is it takes space and time.

Thank you for the quick reply!

Sadly I dont have the space to break the car (wish i did as would put the parts on ebay etc as am sure people would like a brand new water pump and make good use of all the parts)

It has done 72k so far but has been looked after for 4 years (was my wifes beforehand) and does nice 22mile round trip each day down a-roads.

The one annoying thing was I filled the tank up full for first time in six months and got 1 weeks use out of it too :p

A £1K car at a garage is a £500 car to anyone else after VAT, PDI and profit.

I'd rather spend the money on your current car and get it repaired properly, then you know what you have.

Spend £1K on a car and you are back at square one, not knowing what is next going to go wrong.

Cheers

D

Back