General Sei 16v fuel pump thoughts

Currently reading:
General Sei 16v fuel pump thoughts

Right, back to this issue.

2001 sei mpi 1242 16v.

I have decided to invest in a new fuel pump, but am not sure which one to go for. As filter on pump is old, as is the pump itself(as old as the car). Also it is not picking up fuel nicely from the bottom of the tank.

I have read that the Rs2000 pump is a good one, but would rather stick with fiat stuff as I have limited mechanical skill to be stripping pumps down etc.

Does the rs2000 pump have a built in filter? If not an adaptation of the fuel lines would be needed and an inclusion of an undercar spi style filter surely?

Is there anything wrong with the 3bar sei mpi pump for the 16v engine? Is it the same part # as the 16v one as i'm sure have read sei mpi and punto GT are same part #'s for fuel pumps.

What are Krisitans and Em's 16v's running, have the fuel pumps been upgraded at all??

New pump from Fiat is around the £150 inc built in filter. Don't mind paying this if its definately up to the job. Just making sure it is before spending out!

Also have been reading about the regulators etc. Where is it fitted on an mpi Sei and does it need to be adjusted, as it must be set to 3 bar for standard system, surely it doesn't??

thanks in advance.

James

Mine is the standard sei mpi pump, no modifications, as i think, though not 100% Emma's is as well.

The pumps are regulated in the tank. They have a return that just dumps into the tank again. I'm not sure if the pressure is adjustable.

The pump does not have any feedback etc. It just pumps lol

You NEED a returnless pump of sorts if you don't plan on adding a return line. as these are regulated in the engine bay on the fuel line by the injectors. That means most pumps mentioned on this sectiona re a no go, as they are all referenced to the returnable cinq/sei spi's.

To convert to a return system, you will need:

Reurnable tank or modify yours.
Return fuel line
Modify/uncap the fuel rail return
link up the vacuum adjuster to the intake
etc etc

It a lot of effort, so best to stick with returnless.

The Panda 100hp is also returnless and may have a better pump, but not seen one in the flesh so no clue if it fits.

Kristian

On our car we retained the standard pump, the car had only covered 20k so pump in fine fettle.

As for upgrading fuel pumps its not that hard, you have to remember that the pump is just the metal cannister that is held in what ever plastic housing the manufacturer has made for a particular cars application.

The RS2000 pump that I fitted to the turbo's is a Walbro pump, the Fiats pumps are on removal I found also made by Walbro.

All the fuel pumps that you use for upgrading are generally Walbro, I know I fitted one to my grale to replace the bosch one.

Now on subject of return-less, I am sure its just eth way the plastic housing is configured and if its controlled by ECU, as you can buy upgrade pumps by Walbro for Fiat Coupe 20VT and sure they are return-less, yet they still use standard fitment Walbro's, so can't see why one couldn't be fitted to a Sei, though I have never removed a Sei pump, but do know someone removed the pump from a MPi set up and used it on a Cinq turbo, so that leads me to believe its still just a Walbro pump.

Again Walbro do uprated pumps for EVO's, Imprezza's etc and can't believe that they are still using return system, my Suzuki Ignis is definitely return-less.

Buying a pump on its own is about £80-90, so near half price what Fiat want as they will not sell the pump on its own, but the whole housing that encompasses the pump.

Aaron.

Thanks for the consise reply, appreciate it.

Need whole new unit really as gauge sender contacts have worn down also between 1/4 and empty, so makes sense to buy whole assembly, then at least i'll have a smooth gauge movement back!

Least I know its up to the job, thanks.

Back