General Sedici into 4x4?

Currently reading:
General Sedici into 4x4?

Timothytoad47

Hi folks
Newbie here;)
I've had my 1.6 '06 Sedici since May and so far have only used the 2wd and the auto. Ow I've got to get to work this pm in the snow. I've tried to use the lock button for the 4x4 but it won't stay down. Any ideas?

Thanks Kim :):worship:

Hi folks
Newbie here;)
I've had my 1.6 '06 Sedici since May and so far have only used the 2wd and the auto. Ow I've got to get to work this pm in the snow. I've tried to use the lock button for the 4x4 but it won't stay down. Any ideas?

Thanks Kim :):worship:
Yes !!! Depress the switch and hold it in lock position for a few seconds, until the yellow light comes on. That should do the trick.

However, you should only use this position in emergencies if you are stuck.
The auto position will give you all the traction you require.

I was driving around in Lock yesterday around some country lanes and the rear diff starts to get hot and more vocal after a while which is obviously not good. Auto is good enough for most conditions.

I'm running brand new summer tyres and it performed well, even when i've driven up the side banking on a road to let an oncoming car past.

Glad I was of help Timothy. And Cmm I have used my 1.9 several times in the snow in the last few days. Some silly blighter drove his estate car into a snow drift and I tried to pull him out with a tow rope. Even though I put it in lock, and the other guy tried to help with some wheel motion, there was no way I was going to do it; even though I have new snow tyres fitted. Eventually a guy with a Mitibushi turned up and made an easy job of it.

I am interested in your comment on the differential getting hot in the lock position as I am off to Switzerland in a month. How long do you think you had been in lock before this happened, and what do you think the consequences would have been if you had not disengaged it ?

I don't think the Sedici would react very well to towing out another car due to its weight distribution. The car is quite light over the front axle - anyone particularly with the Petrol unit will vouch for spinning wheels at a greasy T-junction. That said for getting through the snow ours has again been superb despite us getting near needing a new set of rubber boots. I have been using Lock for slow snow travel but noticed no increase in noise. I think if you look at the manual it automatically moves out of lock back into Auto once you get over 28mph (cannot quite recall actual speed).

I was driving around in Lock yesterday around some country lanes and the rear diff starts to get hot and more vocal after a while which is obviously not good. Auto is good enough for most conditions.

I'm running brand new summer tyres and it performed well, even when i've driven up the side banking on a road to let an oncoming car past.

Perhaps CMM has a fault with the 4 wd. system which does not cancel the lock facility at 28 m.p.h. plus.

Reading through the manual the lock setting puts the car in a 50/50 split and is there to get you out of trouble. Once you're over 60kph it knows you're out of trouble and puts it back into auto. I've been putting it in lock and generally stayed under 37mph so it stays in lock. There's no problem with the car, I'm just making the rear diff do more than its designed for. Was probably out for about 1hr and a half before I could feel that it was overworked. Symptoms were more vibration.

In the future I'll keep it in Auto because it's equally capable in that setting but in my experience makes the car more prone to powerslides (no matter how fun they are). I've had times when if you're going around a corner and the car detects slip on the front then it'll give more power to the rear which then does its best to flip you 180. Happened once and managed to style it out but something to bear in mind.

I have never heard of a power slide before, but fully understand the meaning. I would think we need to be ready to steer into skids on winding roads more so than with a 2 wd. I have a slight problem at the moment. I took my 07 into a local garage for a full service, brake pads, all filter change and visual check up on all components. Apparently one of the filters is a paper unit installed inside casing, and I need a new casing. Not sure of the full details until I see them tomorrow; but it seems this part is not available at this moment in the U.K., and it has to be shipped from Italy. Hopefully it will arrive in Wales on Friday !!!!

Ha Ha i just thought my model didn't have lock just running out checked it and it does I have had it for two years

Back