Technical Sedici Glow Plug/ Heater Relay Location....

Currently reading:
Technical Sedici Glow Plug/ Heater Relay Location....

chumbamoo

Having a cold start start problem with our Sedici 1.9 Diesel at the mo.... so have replaced the glow plugs and are about to change the glow plug relay.

Anyone about to change the glowplugs on their Multijet by themselves should note it can be done but is an extremely fiddly and delicate job. The correct tools are a necessity.
Recommend purchasing a Glow Plug Socket/set that have a spring loaded ball bearing on the end for gripping the glow plug. They must also have the 180 degree universal joint.
Check out E-Bay (6 Piece Glow Plug Socket Set 3/8" Drive ( BERGEN )) £18 with postage. (y)
(The deep 10mm Socket is used to remove the plugs)

Do not Cross thread, overtighten or force the plugs... absolute care must be taken.

This is not for the faint hearted!!!

The four glow plugs are located deep behind the engine and a step ladder can be useful for reaching over the engine/manifold!!!
Remove the engine cover and bracket and you will see the four injector plugs on top... Behind these is the alloy inlet manifold.
With a torch, look over, behind and under the manifold... the glow plugs are parallel with the injectors.
Each plug has a wire with a cap connected to it... these are a click fit and should pull off with care (remember don't pull by the wire).

Starting from the left as you look at the engine the first plug is known as number 1. The next number 2, next number 3 and so on.
Number 1 is the hardest to access so is worth trying first.... try taking off the plug connector and you will see the difficulty.
(Had to unbolt a few things to get a bit more clearance on this one and was lucky enough to have some extra long nose forceps + tweezers to help, reach and rescue!!!).

If you decide to continue and have removed the connector.

Using the glow plug socket, socket extension and ratchet, carefully remove the plug.
Replace with the new one... (when doing this I had to remove the ball bearing from the socket. Once screwed in, it stuck to the plug rather than the extension bar + ratchet.... making it difficult to retrieve when trying to remove the tools!)
Replace the connector and move to number 2.

If you've successfully reached this far give yourself a pat on the back and don't forget to put the ball bearing back into the socket as the other plugs are slightly easier to access. :D

The next three plugs are pretty much the same p!55-taking process but to make things easier I also removed the EGR valve.
Doing this gives the opportunity to clean and inspect the boost sensor on the inlet manifold. (shocking!! due to the EGR system it was covered/buried in gunk... Dread to think what the manifold looks like inside!) :(
(A "torx/star" socket bit is needed to remove the bolts on the sensor)
(Some people prefer to test and replace a single faulty plug. I prefer to do all as if one goes the rest may soon follow)

The Glow Plug Relay took some finding....

You can just about see the relay from the engine bay.
Open the bonnet and look beneath the front passenger, headlamp wiring.... directly down you should see the top of the alloy box, casing.

The relay is accessed by jacking up the car, removing the passenger side wheel (U.K. Right Hand Drive model) and front plastic arch lining.
Once removed, look inside the arch and towards the front headlamp and you will see the relay bolted in place.
Ours was a G.M. (General Motors) part number 55354141.

These are fitted to various vauxhall models and managed to buy a new one from a vauxhall main dealer for £37.49 with postage from E-Bay.

To buy from Fiat main dealer £105!!!! :rolleyes:

Hope this may help any fellow Sedici, multijet owners.

Any damage caused to your engine is your own responsibility +
apologies for the lack of pictures. :)

excellent! this probably applies to all the 1.9JTD's; nice convenient place for Fiat/Suzuki to put the relay, easy access and well away from water, mud etc..........

Hi Tinytim,

Gotta agree with you.....

Relay, surely, would be better located higher up on the bulkhead closer to a dry, warm engine and away from water.

Does make us wonder if simple jobs are being turned into an all out, special tool, garage only, labour charge!!! :shrug: Time = ££££££'s.

Hello,

I'm from france and encounters some problems with my fiat sedici 1.9jtd 2006...

The first start of the morning is a little bit hard.

I changed the 4 glow plugs... I found a used relay and changed it... But always the same problem.

The user manual shows a fuses box under the bonet who have a glow fuse. But It's impossible to found.

Do you have informations about this glow fuse?

thanks a lot for your help and appologies for my english.

Hi,

Did you manage to repair the fault on your Sedici?
Mine is the same an is also in France.
It is in the ski resort of La Plagne so can be very cold.
Have you visited a garage?

Alan

Thanks for the write up, very helpful. I have bad cold starts so going to replace my plugs and the relay.

Having a cold start start problem with our Sedici 1.9 Diesel at the mo.... so have replaced the glow plugs and are about to change the glow plug relay.

Anyone about to change the glowplugs on their Multijet by themselves should note it can be done but is an extremely fiddly and delicate job. The correct tools are a necessity.
Recommend purchasing a Glow Plug Socket/set that have a spring loaded ball bearing on the end for gripping the glow plug. They must also have the 180 degree universal joint.
Check out E-Bay (6 Piece Glow Plug Socket Set 3/8" Drive ( BERGEN )) £18 with postage. (y)
(The deep 10mm Socket is used to remove the plugs)

Do not Cross thread, overtighten or force the plugs... absolute care must be taken.

This is not for the faint hearted!!!

The four glow plugs are located deep behind the engine and a step ladder can be useful for reaching over the engine/manifold!!!
Remove the engine cover and bracket and you will see the four injector plugs on top... Behind these is the alloy inlet manifold.
With a torch, look over, behind and under the manifold... the glow plugs are parallel with the injectors.
Each plug has a wire with a cap connected to it... these are a click fit and should pull off with care (remember don't pull by the wire).

Starting from the left as you look at the engine the first plug is known as number 1. The next number 2, next number 3 and so on.
Number 1 is the hardest to access so is worth trying first.... try taking off the plug connector and you will see the difficulty.
(Had to unbolt a few things to get a bit more clearance on this one and was lucky enough to have some extra long nose forceps + tweezers to help, reach and rescue!!!).

If you decide to continue and have removed the connector.

Using the glow plug socket, socket extension and ratchet, carefully remove the plug.
Replace with the new one... (when doing this I had to remove the ball bearing from the socket. Once screwed in, it stuck to the plug rather than the extension bar + ratchet.... making it difficult to retrieve when trying to remove the tools!)
Replace the connector and move to number 2.

If you've successfully reached this far give yourself a pat on the back and don't forget to put the ball bearing back into the socket as the other plugs are slightly easier to access. :D

The next three plugs are pretty much the same p!55-taking process but to make things easier I also removed the EGR valve.
Doing this gives the opportunity to clean and inspect the boost sensor on the inlet manifold. (shocking!! due to the EGR system it was covered/buried in gunk... Dread to think what the manifold looks like inside!) :(
(A "torx/star" socket bit is needed to remove the bolts on the sensor)
(Some people prefer to test and replace a single faulty plug. I prefer to do all as if one goes the rest may soon follow)

The Glow Plug Relay took some finding....

You can just about see the relay from the engine bay.
Open the bonnet and look beneath the front passenger, headlamp wiring.... directly down you should see the top of the alloy box, casing.

The relay is accessed by jacking up the car, removing the passenger side wheel (U.K. Right Hand Drive model) and front plastic arch lining.
Once removed, look inside the arch and towards the front headlamp and you will see the relay bolted in place.
Ours was a G.M. (General Motors) part number 55354141.

These are fitted to various vauxhall models and managed to buy a new one from a vauxhall main dealer for £37.49 with postage from E-Bay.

To buy from Fiat main dealer £105!!!! :rolleyes:

Hope this may help any fellow Sedici, multijet owners.

Any damage caused to your engine is your own responsibility +
apologies for the lack of pictures. :)

An excellent write up,i was facing a lot of problem in my fiat Petra 1.9d. It was very dificult for me to open the fuse box under the battery tray in my car. The glow plug light and the Engine light was not coming ON in my car , and hence i was unable to start the car.I even changed the glow plug timer, but still it's the same. Now with the help of your post i can open the fusebox and check it. Thanks a lot (y):) IMG_20200727_160540.jpg

IMG_20200727_160519.jpg

Back